Electrolytes

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
mickw

Anyone administer electrolytes to their birds to help them deal with stress?

I read some stuff somewhere about giving them electrolytes before/during/after transport.......a pretty stressful time for the little guys......

Anyone got any clues as to what to give?.......Anyone got anything against giving them a weak drink of Gatorade or something common :? ........I always reckon there's a home remedy for most things........doesnt have the special bird medicine label which makes it cost 50 bucks
fincher

yes i give an electolyte when im planning on send birds or receiving birds. i use vetafarms SPARK and doesnt cost that much. you can buy it from the bird dealers
Fischer

Hi Mick. Yes I use it with my birds for stress reasons, it helps a lot but if you don't want to bomb the budget just plain old powdered Glucodin will do the trick :)
Mickp
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

when necessary I use 'Spark'. think it costs about $20 for a bottle (that includes postage) from birds r us, thats still cheaper than my local supplier is willing to do
Mick.
Finch addict and rodent hater.
mickw

Thanks all...........I just bought me my first lot of birds :mrgreen: ........5 White Eared Masks :D ........couldnt resist......dreamt of them as a kid when they were $1000 a pair.......saw them at my local dealership......he did me such a special deal I couldnt resist.........on the antibiotic now til tomorrow or Monday.......he reckoned plain old red cordial but also had heard of weak gatorade.......I'll give those a go for a few days just to help them along..........They're a pretty soft species and I've been out of the game for a while.....will keep 'em inside for 4 or 5 weeks before I let 'em loose..................cant dilly dally now.....will have to complete the aviaries :roll:

Now I'm in a quandry......worming............he warned of going overboard and highly recommended Apple Cider Vinegar.......What say all of thee??
gomer

Mickw.I used to use glucadin.but use liquid spark.dont buy the powder spark as they had a bad batch that goes hard.If anyone has the hard stuff aslong as it is in date use it as normal.I would use spark for a week or as directed, and after a few days worm them.About once a month or so, i put a capful of apple cider in thier water (4 litres)
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches

Return to “Finch Health”