Cut Throat Female Sick

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
Bob Johnston

Hi everyone, Had my first scare with the hen today, she had been looking fluffed up and breathing deeply for a couple of days, as I have only had them 2 weeks i thought it maybe stress but today noticed feathers around her bum looked a bit dirty, so I caught her to have a look and her vent was completly closed over with dry feathers, grabed the nearest pair of scissors and started to clean her up,when i had cleared it a bit this huge poo exploded out of her so i got wet tissue and cleaned her more and cut all the feathers that were stuck together near her vent, now she has very red sore bum and i put her back in cage she went straight to nest box. So I am hoping she now recovers as she is nice and warm so hoping she make it through nite. i must admit this scared the crap out of me and probably her to, so its now up to the avian gods and I hope she makes it to, cheers Bob. 8-)
Mickp
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

sounds like you got her sorted out, hope all goes well from here on
Mick.
Finch addict and rodent hater.
Bob Johnston

Thanks for the support, my only worry now is that the scissors were not sterilized, I just grabed them off the counter in the heat of the moment, cheers Bob. 8-)
gomer

hope all goes well Bob.sounds like you may ahave saved her,or atleast helped.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
Bob Johnston

Hi Everyone, amazingly she lasted through the night and looked a bit better today, but have just finished the nightly feeding and watering and she didnt come out of nest box so had a look with my new spy torch and there she was inside with a egg beside her?. I am totaly amazed at her strenght and I hope she gets through the rest of the clutch ok. Just in case I have a pair of bangelese in the next cage and they have just finished building nest which they love to sit in, cheers Bob. 8-)

Return to “Finch Health”