Avian Gastric Yeast AKA Mega-bacteria

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
GregH

When I got back from Australia a few weeks ago I found 6 fledgling zebs on the floor of my main aviary and one other was flying around with the adults so I went off to Laos confident that everything was going well as they all had healthy appetites and were being fed by the parents. When I got back two weeks later I found two dead and the other "groundlings" still on the floor. Last week another died and I noticed that it was pretty skinny as were the remaining "groundlings". They are no longer fed by the adults but they certainly have failure to thrive. I've never seen "mega-bacteria" before but I decided that's what I had and so I have started putting cider vinegar in the water. Will this cure the existing infection or just prevent it's spread and should I cull the "groundlings"?
gomer

Sorry Greg,Have not seen it either.Hard decision to make though.I would isolate them perhaps.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
Fischer

Hi Greg, maybe a probotic would have better results :)
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ive used a probiotic b4 with excellent results , guess there little bellies run similar to ours and bad bacteria can make us pretty crook.
The one I used is available at pet stores and on line ...not many to choose from so no confusion there.
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
GregH

Thanks guys. Another one dies last night and I'm going into Cartimar - the pet district of Manila today so I'll see what probiotics are around although I suspect none. I just hope that this is a one off and doesn't spread.
Pete Sara
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

i had a superb parrot with it once. the vet had a lozenge that he broke up and mixed with saline that i had to feed the bird, see what u can get from your local vet. plus get yourself a microscope u can see the buggers in the excrament oh crap i cant spell poo. also will help to diagnose worms as well...pete

Return to “Finch Health”