New Gouldian all of a sudden died.

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
chad27579

ben nothing like that mate. they were in a seperate cage inside. I only had them 2 days.
oh well persistence will pay off.
gouldian4

yes persistance does pay off and a lot of patience. when i first started with my birs i was constantly watching and entering the cage or room which they where in. i found this just prevented them from breeding. now its just a water seed and soft food change a look at whose breeding a few notes and there left. all are breeding really well know. the hard work and persistance will pay off
BENSONSAN

bummer that sux i hate losing birds. What makes it worse is when youve got no idea as in your case.
cranberry

cranberry wrote:I have a beautiful black head cockbird that is bigger than any cockbird I have seen. Suffice to say he is the father of my one and only clutch. He is definitely going to form the basis of my future stock, that is if I can keep him alive.
Spoke too soon didn't I? Found dead this morning. It's enough to make you cry. Now mum has to raise the young on her own.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sorry to hear it. But the possative is you have chicks.
LML
LML
cranberry

Apologies to Chad. I just realised I hijacked your thread.
Will_36

When I set up my cage last year I lost 4 out of six birds and thought these gould are gona be hard but the ones that survied and the new ones I added back in have done well. The strong have survied and I've gone from 6 to 50 birds in a year.
Lost one just yesterday but that was the first this year. Don't know what happened but we did just have a cold snap. That finch keeping though.Keep going.
It is a lot harder on the birds in the colder months combined with the stress of moving. Do you give them spark of anything?
Keeping Gouldians,Double Bars,Diamonds & Painted Finches.
Poohbear UK

I've had to start over after selling all of my stud last year (House move)...so I'll probably have some losses to come with fresh stock.(Gouldians)

In the previous years these type of stories are what I have read on forums and in magazines.I have been lucky in that losses have been very rare with me over the years.

Two years back my best hen raised three clutches of 7 eggs to the perch...21 chicks in one season that all reached adulthood...not one loss.

I don't know why but I've suffered very few losses,mostly through accidents not mystery illnesses.Maybe I've just been lucky...we'll see if my luck holds with future birds.

I've never been one for fancy chemicals in my birds diet...Just quality seed,fresh boiled eggs,greenfood twice a week and crushed eggshell and oystershell.And if a bird looked stressed...warmth, and water with liquid glucose in it.Seaweed extract once a week in water.
chad27579

No worries on hijacking the thread cranberry. ill return the favour one day. mwahahahahahahahaha :twisted: lol
Sam Fahey

I bought 2 Gouldian finches from Oliver’s Pets and Plants in Adelaide, South Australia. They died within days all of a sudden. One looked healthy the day before and the other just looked tired and had his feathers fluffed out. I was a bit worried about him so I walked up to him and he let me touch his feathers. He looked like he couldn’t fly properly in the last day. The next morning I walked into the avairy and the two Gouldians were laying next to each other ,within cm, dead. Wondering why this is and if it is contagious. Thanks in advance.

Return to “Finch Health”