Air Sac Mites

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I like to use natural perches, that have been pruned from the Mulberry or cape lilac trees in the aviarys. And regularly just take them out and replace completely. No risk of any infection hanging arround this way.
Unfortunately I haven't found a way of just swapping the aviary walls for new clean ones so I have to scrub them down periodically. :lol:
LML
LML
SA Parrot Finch Man

I have read on a few sites the use of those sticky fly strips to combat air sac mites. They said to just hang them in the aviary from the perch and it will control them. Have you heard of this and could it be that easy?
Mick.
E Orix

Mick
As far as I am aware Air Sac Mites crawl but don't fly.
They are so tiny that they can infiltrate the hollow bones of birds as well as choking up air passages etc.
They are generally passed on live from bird to bird, either when feeding young or partners.
But the most likely is picking up eggs or adult mites off perches. The perches do not have to be dirty either.If you observe a heavily infected bird it will apart from gulping for air be continually wipeing it's beak on the perches, I presume to wipe away the mites that are around its beak. Once the mite is on the perch it simply tries to get onto another victim.
Apart from Gouldians and Canaries I have seen quite a large number of African Fires and Cordons heavily infected so it will jump on all birds I would imagine.
As for the fly strips they are most effective in catching flour moths.
Matt

Back in the late 80's a method of controlling airsac mites and other external parasites was to hang shelltox strips around in the shelter part of the aviary. They would be covered in wire themselves so the birds couldn't poison themselves. These days, ivermectin and moxidectin products are far more effective in controlling mites.
E Orix

Many years ago pest strips were hung in areas of low air movement to kill all sorts of Mites including Air Sac Mite. The birds inhale the fumes and this kept the Mites under control.The strips went off the market and people started to think abit more.
In those early days some people exposed their birds to some very drastic methods,spraying PeaBeau directly at the birds was one.There were many losses maybe not as many as those on the worm erradication theory but little science and thought was used.
Today it is simple, use Scatt if you can get it,I have nearly drowned birds in it without any ill effect,it is easy and as far as I am concerned safe to use.
Pete Sara
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

yeh i remember the days when my uncle put goulds or canaries in a plastic bag and load it up with p beu. pretty graffic it was even the budgies that had scalie might got the treatment.. oh it takes me back....thank got for modern technoligy .i think they even used pestine in the powder form in the bags ........pete
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I just use ivermectin I get from the RSPCA :roll:
simple
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
E Orix

I am of the opinion that more birds have died from the effects of Ivomectin than have been cured.
Simply not many know what does is required and birds can be overdosed.Many die and those that survive a percentage are never the same.
To my knowledge there are no specific cage bird mixtures containing Ivomectin available purely for small birds so guess work is required.
gomer

Moxidectin has a higher margin for era.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
cranberry

A breeder I got my Gouldians off swears by these: http://www.hardwarefast.com.au/componen ... uctId=1052

I'm going to give them a go. At that price what have you got to lose? Has anyone tried these or something similar?

Return to “Finch Health”