Air Sac Mites

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
AMCA26

I have been using that for the last month as i have had codling moth grubs under my trays and just put new ones in last week. Dont know if they work for Airsac mites thou.
Breeding Show Zebra Finches, Blue Gouldians, Pied Orange Breast.
E Orix

Are they a repellant or a cure?
The old Shelltox Pest Strip would actually kill the mites without too much of a risk to the birds.
77sedan253

What ratio of Ivermectin to water (for drinking) do you use?
crazy cuban

I've heard people use 5ml per litre not entirely sure though
CC
9magenta

Hi This is from the Australian Wildlife Supplies company I just bought some from them

Ivomectin 100ml $6.50, 200ml $11.85, 500ml $33.60. The recommended dosage is 5ml per litre of water for three days-five days. Can you advise your phone number so I can give you a ring? The postage for up to 500gr ie 100ml is $5.20 and for over 500gr but less than a kg is $9.10 ie 200ml, 500ml postage so over 1kg but less than two will be $10.90. They ivomectin comes in a glass bottle so has to be packed carefully. Have included a price list for your info. Are you wanting ivomectin to treat air sac mite?

The anwser to that was Yes and the price is for delivery to Perth WA

email for the supplier is [email protected]
shanny2

how do goldian catch the air sac mite by air
Going 1 step at a time
Fincho162

Thought I'd better earn my keep here!!!

If you muck about with Ivomec (Ivermectin) then the best way to use it is mixed with alcohol (can't rememebr the actual dose rate but it is on my website - www.cliftonfinchaviaries.org in the Question & Answer section somewhere!!! Alcohol delivers the medication directly into the blood stream when applied to the back of the neck.......Ivomec in water actually forms an obvious 'slick' and others have stated that it does not mix well. For obvious reasons the correct does rate is imperative when using alcohol!!!

We use this for stubborn cases and only as a drop on medication. Flock treatments are with Cydectin Plus (Moxidectin PLus) at the rate of 5mls/litre for 5 days.

Remember though that if the finch has had ASM for a long time there may be residual effects after treatment due to damage by the ASM of the airsacs and airways themselves - usually not life threatening but can still be characterised by a 'clicking' sound.

ASM is a rarity even down here now thanks to Cydectin (moxidectin) based wormers.................the "Plus" bit refers to the addition of praziquental which is a tapewormer.

There ya go!!
HackerX

When I was researching Ivermectin for treating scaly face mites, there were supposably two different solutions going around, the "cattle strength" and a "sheep strength". The sheep strength solution included a substance in the base that helps it dilute in water (it's not perfect though) but the cattle strength doesn't. The "bird ready" ivermectin is created by diluting the sheep strength (and thus in theory should dilute "ok"). It's important to know though if you get ivermectin (that isn't "bird ready") from your vet which strength you've gotten (in my case, my incompetant vet handed me a bottle of full cattle strength ivermectin) so that you can calculate the dose correctly.
Fincho162

Somewhere on my wesbite is the dose rate for both forms of Ivomec cattle and sheep/goat strength.........regardless of which one you use you'll find the oil slick effect which is not what we considered advisable to use in water.
As a drop on treatment with alcohol it will treat for mites no matter where they are.....once in the blood stream it wails the bludgers no matter where they occur.
Once "aggressively" treated like this we then use Cydectin Plus in the water to ensure that it is fully removed - the sheep and goat strength Cydectin Plus............although with Gouldians we only bother treating with Cydectin.
Myzomela

As fincho has said, moxidectin is superior to ivermectin for worming and for in-water stability, so I don't bother with ivermectin.

Just be careful of carriers. Birds infected with ASM long-term can be difficult to treat properly ( because the mites can cause thickened tissue of the air sacs & windpipe and hide their from the medication). Therefore, birds that still appear affected after treatment should be removed from the aviary.

Some of these birds can also have bacterial infections on top of the mites- these may also need to be treated.
Research; evaluate;observe;act

Return to “Finch Health”