Air Sac Mites

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
oakes043

I was about to attempt my own mixture but Avimec does sound promising as a pre-prepared solution for topical use. Vetafarm recommends it as an alternative to Scatt in Australia. It requires more applications than Scatt but at least it's readily available here.
matcho

I use the KISS principle.
Moxyplus every three months in the water regardless of symptoms, repeat 10-14 days later, gives me peace of mind. Quite safe even with chicks in the nest. Use Baycox as well at the same time. Just remember to remove all water sources the afternoon before to ensure they drink the treated water. Don't use on rainy days if the aviary is open as they will take water from the wire in preference. Don't give leafy greens on treatment days as they are a moisture source.

Simple, have had no problems.

Ken.
Pseudonym

Where did air sac mites originate? And are they contagious, can any bird be infected?
Tiaris

They originated in the air sacs of birds & they are contagious. Some species seem more susceptible than others. Most susceptible are Canaries, Gouldians & Ruddies in that order.
Finnigan

this link for air sack mite isn't working for me. viewtopic.php?f=71&t=2333
Pseudonym

Good information. Cheers
toothlessjaws

I have just recently come across my first case of ASM (not bad for 7 years of finch keeping), an orangebreast hen in my breeding avairy.

I have removed the hen and her mate for treatment in a cage as they did not have a nest, but some of the other birds in the aviary do (1pr painteds sitting, 1pr ruddies with one fledged chick plus more in nest and a pr of cordons, who i do not think have anything in nest)

what should i do? obviously i cant exactly clean the aviary given i have nesting birds but can i medicate everyone? will Ivermectin in the water harm the chicks?
Tiaris

They say there is research to suggest moxidectin (same group of chemicals as ivomectin) inhibits the ability of hatchlings to beg properly, but I haven't noticed any losses as a result of many drenches with it across my whole flock. I am currently in the 2nd day of drenching with moxy+ at the moment & have plenty of birds with young in the nest. Ivomectin has solubility issues so may need a regular stir too.
toothlessjaws

thanks Tiaris - i'll treat the whole aviary. 5ml per litre? treat for 3 days?
matcho

Toothless,
Try after the drenching giving your perches a light spray with Coopex, because this is where the birds tend to wipe their beak and the mites can survive there and cause re infection. Better still replace all perches.

Hope all goes well.

Ken

PS

Doing mine the next couple of weeks , have seen no symptoms but better to be safe than sorry. Have drenched in the past with chicks in the nest but have had no probs.

Return to “Finch Health”