Air Sac Mites

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
E Orix

Don't compare yourself with the every day bird keeper.Your methods and knowledge in this area is far beyond the reach of most will ever get to.
No what I am saying is alot of these people really need assistance and if you can lead them on a path even if it is not be the ideal
at least its a start. As they become experienced and if they want to learn they will move on to the more advanced stage.
I think the thing that really shocked me was years ago I visited a man regarded as experienced. He had just wormed 6 Gouldians
and released them in a small outside aviary. When I saw them I said there is something wrong as they were shaking as if they were freezing.His comment was they always shake abit. Within 10 min. they shook alright, all ended up dead. He had no idea about dose rates or what the chemicals would do if over used.
That sort of situation is what worries me and that is also why I push the safer types of medication.
Fincho162

Plenty better than I and please, I am very much self taught!!
Dont want to start a war especially when I agree with u up to a point.
Novice or expert all can learn just give em the facts..........let em make up their own minds...........Ivomec in alcohol is hardly rocket science but does work and work well............cheap and if used properly safe..I say that because we experimented with it........
Now all forum members have more info......if they use it, experiment with it or ignore it they still have the info at their mouse tips..................our jobs are dun.........

Sure u appreciate this but for the record I'd never advocate untried meds.......escpecially wormers which when all is said and done are poisons.

Anyway, there u go!!
Craig52

Fincho162 wrote:Have used Cydectin/Cydectin Plus in the water for years even while chicks in the nest without mishap as we use a regular 'dated' worming regime...........but others may have found differently.........
If Cydectin affected egg fertility we'd possibly never get a fertile egg so I think u can be "destressed' over that concern................

Have zero faith in VF's Scatts ability to remove stubborn ASM and have only found repeated treatments with Ivomec & Alcohol (iso-propyl a&/or absolute ethanol) are required to remove stubborn vestiges of it so that our regular Cydectin worming can keep it under control - or hopefully remove it completely!!
The alcohol gives u excellent delivery properties which straight water cannot!!.......just need to be very careful of the dose!!
Why dont we use Cydectin in alcohol??................because no smart person vet wise has come up with a properly research dose rate for that form of delivery..........yet!!!!!

Also if your finch still "clicks" a little after treatment it is possibly because of the damage done by the ASM to the finches system and may remain with it throughout the rest of its life.............mind u it hasn't , IMHExperience, effected the bird's abiltiy to breed and/or feed youngsters.
Hey Fincho162, Whats with all the dots in your sentences,does it mean the same as it does when people use CAPITALS.It's dam anoying to say the least :eh:
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Deb does dots too :thumbup: ....lots of dots ....I like my dots ....
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
Craig52

jusdeb wrote:Deb does dots too :thumbup: ....lots of dots ....I like my dots ....

WHY YOU DO............................... :lol: :lol:
arthur

I'm two dot person . . I think

Maybe we are just 'dotty' . .

:? :?

I fear I am entering my dotage . .

Or is that 'dottage'?
gomer

I have never used scatt so can't coment on it. I have experimented with moxi plus at double the dose in water for three times the recommended time on budgies with no deaths. It may well be they are more resilient then finches and I would not recommend this at all in no uncertant terms for finches. But at the end of the day scatt (ivermectin) is sold on label for this purpose aswell as APC moxidectin (cydectin) each to their own. And as we all started out experimenting some successful some not.I have had deaths before with the most trusted brands of wormers. I suppose it's how you use it more then anything even if it's on or off lable sometimes.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
Craig52

arthur wrote:I'm two dot person . . I think

Maybe we are just 'dotty' . .

:? :?

I fear I am entering my dotage . .

Or is that 'dottage'?
Sorry to keep this going arthur but i'm in your dot.age and i don't think there's any need for it.It makes me go crosseyed even with my glasses on :lol: :lol: :lol: Craig
BluJay

E Orix wrote:Buying Scatt
.Strange you have to buy an Australian made product outside the country.
Why is this????? Wondering. Also wonder if there would be an issue, I have my sister ship some over for me.
MadHatter

Short answer: it's classed as a veterinary medication and needs to be registered as such in order to be offered for sale in Australia. In order to be registered, the manufacturer has to provide the results of research conducted in Australia which demonstrates that the product is safe and effective for the purpose for which they want to register it. Research conducted in other countries is, apparently, not good enough.(or so I'm led to believe)
Basically, the bird industry isn't big enough in Australia to make it economically viable to spend a stack of money conducting the required research.

Return to “Finch Health”