Clutch Dead

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
Misso

Hi everyone,

Had Gouldian eggs due to hatch on sat, so i checked yesterday arvo, 3 babies were dead, and they were squashed kinda, well i noticed there bums were big and yellow, i threw them out, A 4th babie was still alive with food in 1 side of the crop, i noticed his bum looked a little big, checked the nest today and he was dead just like his siblings, iv attached some pictures. any idea what caused this?

Might seem weird but i cut the gouldian up to see what was the mass in its bum, and it was a yellow substance, then i came across wat seemed possibly like a stomach which looked to have had some seed in it.
DSC06340.jpg
DSC06339.jpg
DSC06338.jpg
seen this befor in goulds?

they were first time parents, but this one was feed, don't know if mabey too much?
or just somthing else.

Jarryd :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Page0044

Sorry for your loss Jarryd, i haven't come across this before so i can't comment, one of the others members should have seen this before
Cheers
Greg
Mickp
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

have never seen that before either.
you could try sending the pics to Marcus Pollard at cliftonfinchaviaries and asking his opinion or to the savethegouldians foundation, Sarah Pryke is the name of one of the researchers there.
Mick.
Finch addict and rodent hater.
gomer

I think that is the last of its food supply from being hatched?were they day old chicks?As with chickens etc they are born with enough food still inside for about a day i think.Thats what i have been told anyway.If they were day old thet would make sense,any older it would not.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
GregH

I think Gomer is on the right track - it looks like yolk to me. They were first timers and while it's sad they will have another go. Perhaps they forgot to brood. If it happens again it may be worth getting a veterinary pathologist to culture the visceral cavity fluid onto embryonated chicken eggs to see if there is a transmissible/infectious agent present.

Return to “Finch Health”