Meal Worm Supply 5/2017

For all your questions about diet and food for your finches
gomer

With Meal worm supply tight on the Eastcoast currently there are still bulk supply available from Bugs N things W.A.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Bugsnthings/about/

Just to let people know what happened to Pisces. Copied below from another site from a Pisces employee.I myself have bought from Pisces for many years.When I rang them sounds like they will be down on bulk orders for about 3 to 4 weeks ???. This will put pressure on other suppliers.It may pay to stock up if you have not already.

Ex-tropical cyclone Debbie created a massive storm cell which unfortunately hit Pisces Enterprises. Pisces 120+ staff were evacuated and the storm took not only flood damage to multiple buildings but also damaged a number of buildings on the large property. In this case, our meal worm shed was not only flooded but also had damage to the structure which saw us lose majority of our meal worms/breeding stock. In this case we thought we had salvaged enough to continue supply we unfortunately have run very much short. While we know it is a massive inconvenience to yourselves and we understand animals have to eat, we sincerely apologize that this is out of our hands and an act of mother nature not an act of Pisces. We appreciate that once we are back up and running with our meal worms i will try my best to notify you all that we can mend some bridges. If anyone has any questions, i am happy to try my best to help. Thanks for your understanding.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
E Orix

This is not the first time Pisces has let breeders down that is why I have purchased worms from Allyson (Bugs and Things)
for over 10 years.
In all that time not once has she not supplied.
Pisces has major contracts with large facilities and pet chains and these contracts must be full filled first so the small buyer is simply
not supplied.
Also in my opinion Bugs and Things worms are cleaner, less other crawling things.
garymc

I have to second that Orix - I buy all my mealworms from Allyson (Bugs and Things) and done so for 6 or 7 years - not once has she let me down
GouldianGuy

As an outsider looking in, not really their fault that they got washed out in the hurricane... wasn't there widespread flooding and damage?
Tiaris

Maybe not their fault this time but they have left regular customers without supply for at least a couple of extended periods in the past as well.
E Orix

As I mentioned earlier their priorities are always for their contract customers and the small users are dropped off,
it seems without any concern.
GouldianGuy

E Orix wrote: 24 May 2017, 08:59 As I mentioned earlier their priorities are always for their contract customers and the small users are dropped off,
it seems without any concern.
Normal for most businesses, unfortunately for the little guy
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I would have assumed most of you guys were breeding huge numbers of mealworms for your own use?
gomer

ShaneGowland wrote: 25 May 2017, 15:02 I would have assumed most of you guys were breeding huge numbers of mealworms for your own use?
I was using one kilo a week.I dont have the time to breed that amount of mealworms working 12 hour days on shift . Now that I have heavily reduced my breeding stock and only just started feeding out again i will still buy in.I think breeding your own is better if you either have a smaller set up and are still working. Or have a large set up and plenty of time. For the amount of money buying in bulk suits me.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

gomer wrote: 25 May 2017, 18:21
ShaneGowland wrote: 25 May 2017, 15:02 I would have assumed most of you guys were breeding huge numbers of mealworms for your own use?
I was using one kilo a week.I dont have the time to breed that amount of mealworms working 12 hour days on shift . Now that I have heavily reduced my breeding stock and only just started feeding out again i will still buy in.I think breeding your own is better if you either have a smaller set up and are still working. Or have a large set up and plenty of time. For the amount of money buying in bulk suits me.
That is far more mealworms than I was thinking, so that makes perfect sense.

Return to “Diet & Food”