Storing Fresh Grass Seed?

For all your questions about diet and food for your finches
Numi

I currently have a section of my yard fenced off that has a lot of grass growing and heaps of fresh seed, after looking through the forums it seems like I have some prairie grass, possibly some rye grass, a little bit of wild oats, and heaps of green panic veldt grass.

We're due to mow that section of yard soon to help avoid ticks spreading to the dogs over the summer when they're quite bad here, so I'd love to collect as much of that seed as I can for my birds. They've currently been eating the green panic veldt fresh, haven't given them any of the others.

So I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or advice for the best way to store the seed once I've collected it? Do I need to do anything to it to dry it out or will it dry out on it's own or something? Is freezing it an option instead of drying it?

Any advice is much appreciated!
Rod_L

Some people freeze it. Cut the stalks with seed so there is about 12 inches of stem with the seed. Then put them in a clean plastic bag, remove the air and put in the freezer.

If you want to dry them, cut stems to 12 inches and either lay them out on a wire rack or hang clumps upside down and leave them to dry out. But freezing is preferred because it gives the birds green seeds during summer when there isn't much around.

You can also grow different grass seeds and bird seeds in pots and use them over summer.
death to all cats & ants
Numi

Sounds like freezing is the way to go, and I'll have to look into growing some myself.
Thanks so much for the info!
Rod_L

The following link has some info on growing grass seed
https://www.aussiefinchforum.net/viewto ... 05#p188305
death to all cats & ants

Return to “Diet & Food”