What live food for GB Waxbills?

For all your questions about diet and food for your finches
Reubenvg

Hi,
My little pair of waxbills have breed 3 times now and each time hatched 6 young. Unfortunately the first 2 times all 6 young died within a week. I made them stop for 6 months and now they have just raised another lot, I didn't try and check the nest at all in case they didn't like it but I've just noticed they have 2 live young they laid 5-6 at least. They seem to be about 2-3 weeks old and have eyes open at least.

I suspect the young are dieing due to lack of live food ? I have tried mealworms but they didn't really seem interested in it, that maybe because I don't get to offer them live food very often so they may not know what it is.

Has anyone got any tips on if these guys require livefood or can they make to with eggfood (which they do eat a lot) and seed ect.

Thanks
Page0044

White ants are the best or the meal worms but you will need to offer them at least twice a day, they will get use to them in time
Cheers
Greg
Pete Sara
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

mealies , or maggots or try placing a bucket in the aviary (thats if cage its large enough eg not a breeding cabinet) to attract acid flies, orange and banana peel works the best the flies are the right size for nestlings...pete
Suerus

Mine love mealworms and will tackle the regular size - but I have read somewhere that they prefer the mini-mealworms. Mine love these too - and I have noticed that the Ruddies definately prefer the smaller ones. Maybe they will show more interest with minis
Good luck with them
Reubenvg

Thanks I might try that. They are in a small aviary (1800Lx1800Hx1500W) so should have room to try bucket thing.
Pete Sara

also place some wire over the bucket so that the birds cant get in there, they will learn as they jump on the wire the flies will fly up and hey presto a feed of live food...pete p.s and a few small holes in the bottom to let exess moisture out or even use and old plant pot.but u still might to add some other live food in there but see how you go with this first... :D
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Best season I ever had with these guys was puting weavil infested seed in a seperate bowl to the regular seed. They didn't half go those weevils. :lol:
LML
LML
Mattyboy

Sometimes the skin on the larger mealworms can be too tough for them.
You'll occasionally see them wait for larger finches to chew on the worms and they'll come up and slurp up the juices after the worm has been mangled a bit.
Try mini mealworms. Orangies are tiny birds with tiny beaks, remember.
Mickp
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

my orange breasts prefer maggots to mealworm. size & texture seems the most likely reason
Mick.
Finch addict and rodent hater.
Pete Sara

i am with mick on this one . the smaller the better for orange breasts . mealies can be a bit tough . have you tried the citris/ bannana peal bucket yet...pete

Return to “Diet & Food”