DIY Seeding Grass & Greens

For all your questions about diet and food for your finches
Davo2

I have been looking through old posts as I am wanting to grow seeding grasses, greens and treats for my finches. I can find items here and there that are relevant but was hoping to start a post where all info was in one place for beginners like me. If anyone can add what they grow it would be appreciated.

Cheers
Ron

1) Name of seeding grass or greens
2) Bird species grown for
3) When to plant and harvest
4) Any hints or tips
gomer

I have found that grass heads around my place are the most Taken type of seed of anything else I have tried.They have to be small enough for finches to be able to fit them in their beak though.Its a suck and see approach, see what they will take too and what they will not. Others are guinea grass, johnstone grass and New guinea palm grass that I grow purposely.These are all perenials and are ready mostly spring and summer in my local climate.

Annuals I am growing purposely for feel good purpose for me are Siberian ,panorama and french millets and plantain tonk( in allmost every ones back yard) this year. I tried gatton panic and golden beard grass but they didnt take here. They were planted on the first of November for my climate as its to cold before then. These are out for judgement on the success for growing here yet.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
Tiaris

Annuals: White-French, Red Pannicum, Panorama & Red Dakota millet
Planted in doublerows 30cm apart so a strip of chook poo can be put down the middle once plants are about 5-10cm high. Keep well watered until the first heads appear. Harvest selectively with large scissors or a sickle. Panorama & Red Dakota are great as green heads but useless as dry seeds IMO. WF & RP are excellent for both.
Perennials: Green Panic, Signal Grass & Gatton Panic.
Planted where allowed to grow out of control over Summer. All naturally die back over Winter here. All excellent green seed for all finches. Signal Grass can become invasive in sub-tropical areas.
Davo2

Here is today's efforts, the start of my DIY greens. I have done them in pots so I can place in the aviary when the greens or seed are right to go.

Cheers
Ron
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gomer

Looks impressive Davo.You will have to keep us updated on the progress.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
Craig52

IMG_0062.jpg
IMG_0062.jpg
Sorry i added one pic twice,the top pic is a permanent guinea grass crop i have on the blind side of the house which is cut back with a wipper snipper to around 300mm high in May after it has finished seeding.In September it grows like mad and begins to seed again in November/December so i get around 6 months of green seed.
The last pic is guinea grass growing in large pots in each aviary with concrete floors,these plants need feeding but are treated the same as the external plants each year but cut by hand.As you can see they are just about finished as it was going into Winter.
The other green seed i feed in copious amounts is green panic veldt which is the preferred green seed which is always taken before the guinea grass.
Since feeding R and W Lowes frozen green french white millet,consumption of guinea grass seed heads has dropped of considerably and will only eat it when they have eaten all Lowes FGWM. Craig
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Craig, your dog bears a striking resemblance to mine (triclolour). But mine is kind of gray round the muzzle due to her approching 15th Birthday. Is yours pure Jack Russell? Re the grass great ideas from both of you. Mine also grows semi feral like Craigs, but under a Big Cape Lilac tree, with retic due to our dry (usually) climate.
LML
LML
Davo2

Shelving complete, irrigation connected, to start off I am growing general finch mix, white French millet, spray millet, chick weed, Bok choy and through in a few lettuce for my self (hope the finches don't mind) with plans to collect some local grass seeds and grow them too to plant in aviaries once established. Whole setup will take 60 pots and connected to my garden irrigation so very low maintenance.

Cheers
Ron
image.jpg
image.jpg
gouldianpaul

Davo2 wrote:Shelving complete, irrigation connected, to start off I am growing general finch mix, white French millet, spray millet, chick weed, Bok choy and through in a few lettuce for my self (hope the finches don't mind) with plans to collect some local grass seeds and grow them too to plant in aviaries once established. Whole setup will take 60 pots and connected to my garden irrigation so very low maintenance.

Cheers
Ron
image.jpg
image.jpg
That is one seriously good set up Ron...well done....when can you come around to my place and do the same for me :lol: :lol:
Davo2

That is one seriously good set up Ron...well done....when can you come around to my place and do the same for me :lol: :lol:[/quote]

Lol, wish I had more time but back to work Monday :cry: the galvanised shelving units were only $16 each from bunning, I bought 5 sets which made the 10 bays. I set the kids up with gloves and dust masks and they done all the potting while I set the shelves up so was a fun little project. One thing I cannot live without is the irrigation, every plant in my yard would be dead otherwise.

Cheers
Ron

Return to “Diet & Food”