Greens what is your gouldian eating?

For all your questions about diet and food for your finches
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

paintedfiretail wrote: As for soaked seed it has no more value than dry seed accept they can process it quick for feeding.
I tend to disagree with that although proteins etc are probably the same..but the enzymes (not in dry seed) found in soaked/sprouted seed is very beneficial to young whose digestive systems aren't online like their parents.... and if you put dry seed and soaked seed in obviously they go for the soaked seed first (easier to eat maybe)but I'm sure the birds know what they prefer to eat when they have young or fledglings...but yeah I have seen many finches reared on dried seed alone...but IMO I prefer to give them a very varied diet :thumbup:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
paintedfiretail

vettepilot_6 wrote:
paintedfiretail wrote: As for soaked seed it has no more value than dry seed accept they can process it quick for feeding.
I tend to disagree with that although proteins etc are probably the same..but the enzymes (not in dry seed) found in soaked/sprouted seed is very beneficial to young whose digestive systems aren't online like their parents.... and if you put dry seed and soaked seed in obviously they go for the soaked seed first (easier to eat maybe)but I'm sure the birds know what they prefer to eat when they have young or fledglings...but yeah I have seen many finches reared on dried seed alone...but IMO I prefer to give them a very varied diet :thumbup:
HI vette I agree and disagree,sprouted seed has a better nutritional value than dry or soaked seed.Chemical changes in the sprouted seed means that there is more available protein and less fat .Starch is converted to simple sugars,protein to amino
acids and oil to fatty acids,enzymes, all which readily absorbable by chicks and in my opinion gives you healthier young birds .as for enzymes all the research on the subject say soaked seed has little to no enzymes.The only benefit it does have is it
takes a lot of stress off the adult birds when rearing chicks.In saying all this there is no reason that you cant breed some finches on straight seed as I have been away for five weeks and come back to young in nest and fledged .AS for variety in diet I totally agree .
cheers :D

Return to “Diet & Food”