Greens what is your gouldian eating?

For all your questions about diet and food for your finches
Norse

Green grass seed heads is all mine get
Cheers Norse
projects atm Normal and AY Gouldians, Red zebs and java's
KENTUCKY

Iam with Tiaris, although I would like to add Chicory into the mix, simply because it is rich in Iron, but tastes some what bitter and my Birds wont have a bar of it.
At present there is a good amount of Summer Couch Grass growing, next will be Panic Velt Grass,after that has dried up, Algerian Oats is next, also known as Long Flowering Velt Grass,after that Sth. African Velt Grass
of which all my Aviary Inmates cant have enough of these Seeding Heads, I am certain that there are other types of Seeding Grasses that can be fed during the year I haven t mentioned or dont know about but
these are the most common Seeding Grasses here in Victoria.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Seasonal seeding grasses all year round, the seasons dictate the quality, quantity and type. But the birds eat whatever is available. And I keep feeding it. Just the heads on those that will resead, the whole plant on those that wont.
LML
LML
BluJay

Chickweed, some flowers, endive, and dried herbs. Fresh from the dehydrator. Chickweed dehydrates nicely. They eat it this way too.
Craig52

KENTUCKY wrote:Iam with Tiaris, although I would like to add Chicory into the mix, simply because it is rich in Iron, but tastes some what bitter and my Birds wont have a bar of it.
At present there is a good amount of Summer Couch Grass growing, next will be Panic Velt Grass,after that has dried up, Algerian Oats is next, also known as Long Flowering Velt Grass,after that Sth. African Velt Grass
of which all my Aviary Inmates cant have enough of these Seeding Heads, I am certain that there are other types of Seeding Grasses that can be fed during the year I haven t mentioned or dont know about but
these are the most common Seeding Grasses here in Victoria.
All of the above,plus guinea grass seed and green white french millet and sprouted frozen seed
,don't bother with the supermarket greens and i still breed a decent amount of finches.Craig
SamDavis

BluJay wrote:Chickweed, some flowers, endive, and dried herbs. Fresh from the dehydrator. Chickweed dehydrates nicely. They eat it this way too.
Please excuse my ignorance, but can you explain the "dehydrator" and how it works.
Tiaris

Food dryer I assume. Has plastic mesh trays stacked under a heat element & fan. Good for drying sliced meat, fruit, etc. (Dried banana & mango come up fantastic as does lean lamb) & also chickweed apparently, although I'd much rather feed it fresh.
Masterfincher

Hydro lettuce and soaked seed - they love the soaked seed whilst young are in the nest - and plenty of wild green panicum and other seeds I grow in a nearby drain - I just scattered a few cups around before the rains around Christmas, now have plenty of green seed.
redluom

In regard to spinach blocking calcium intake, keeping in mind that silver beet is a different plant altogether so I am told, although looking very similar and I think mostly used, are people contributing to this thread using the former or latter ? or does silver beet cause the same problems ?

Return to “Diet & Food”