Newbie questions

For all your questions about diet and food for your finches
panthersteve

Hi

I have read several times on here and in books about the need to feed fresh seeding grasses, sprouted seed and softfood.

My question here is about seeding grass and softfood.

How are people presenting seeding grasses, is there a simple way of holding them/fixing them somewhere etc :?:
Soft food, just how is this used, I have a powder, obviously it needs to be mixed with something (water?), to what consistency etc :?:

Looking forward to learning a bit more :)

Cheers Steve
Davo2

I can help you with the first question, I purchased bulldog clips with magnets on them and just place them around the aviary near perches ect, these hold my fresh grass seed heads and greens and the bids are not concerned about them at all. I made sure I got spares so I can have all food locked in so it is just a matter of changing old for new and limit my time in the aviary. I have one cock bird that regularly lands on my arm as I am hanging up fresh spinach, must be his favourite.

Cheers
Ron
Craig52

panthersteve wrote:Hi

I have read several times on here and in books about the need to feed fresh seeding grasses, sprouted seed and softfood.

My question here is about seeding grass and softfood.

How are people presenting seeding grasses, is there a simple way of holding them/fixing them somewhere etc :?:
Soft food, just how is this used, I have a powder, obviously it needs to be mixed with something (water?), to what consistency etc :?:

Looking forward to learning a bit more :)

Cheers Steve
I have never had success with adding water to soft food and feeding out,i have always sprinkled/mixed it on my soaked/ sprouted seed.I actually freeze my spouted seed with the soft food in it as helps to dry it out before freezing leave it pliable and not an ice block. Craig
Masterfincher

Hi, I just throw my green seed - wild panic and some panicum I grow near a local drain - on the ground in my aviaries (I have natural soil floors with mulch on them), as long as it is a relatively dry area. All my finches are happy eating it from the ground and the quail can get to it too, and bits are picked out for nesting. I'll leave it their for a week or more as possible nesting material. Soaked seed is in a shallow container, enough is soaked for about 5 or 6 days worth at a time, then kept in the fridge and served chilled each morning (and afternoon atm with the high amount of babies in nests). I don't use powders, but do feed mealworms, termites, lettuce or spinach and cucumber daily.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

seeding grasses I use a rat trap (not set) just the the chop part...as for soft food I make my own using Eggs, Arrowroot bicuits, insectore mix, peas, corn, carrot, passwells softfood mix, plus some gouldians herbs etc etc.... :thumbup:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
panthersteve

vettepilot_6 wrote:seeding grasses I use a rat trap (not set) just the the chop part...as for soft food I make my own using Eggs, Arrowroot bicuits, insectore mix, peas, corn, carrot, passwells softfood mix, plus some gouldians herbs etc etc.... :thumbup:
You put Gouldians in your mix :crazy: ;-) :lol:

Seriously though, thanks for the replies :thumbup:
tonytoast

For presenting green panic (finch grass), grab two identical plastic plant pots. Place the grass in one pot (seed heads up and sprayed outwards) and then place the second pot into the first. To stop it from falling over, place a big rock into the middle of the top pot or secure the bottom pot to a wall/post.....note, I also will throw straight onto the floor provided it is dry.

Soaked seed can be overcomplicated at times but most methods are generally ok....I half fill a cup with seed and then fill to the top with water. This is done at night, before bed and in the morning I rinse and strain using a sieve. This will then sit there until the following morning where I will feed it to my birds with frozen pees and chopped up cucumber. If you repeat the step each night, you will always have one to use the next morning...

Cheers, Toast

Return to “Diet & Food”