alternative to soaked seed ?

For all your questions about diet and food for your finches
Lachlan1

E Orix wrote:I have two plastic buckets, one has a lot of holes drilled in it.
I fill the undrilled bucket with 2/3 of seed, tea spoon of Vircon S and fill with water.
It will soak for 3 to 4 hours, the contents are then tipped into the bucket and drained very well no rinsing .
Finally the seed is put into plastic containers and into the freezer. I run a good number of birds and that will last me
nearly a week during breeding season.
In my book it's an easy and good form of feed
So I gather you don't wait for it to sprout? I've always wondered if that makes a nutritional difference...
Craig52

Lachlan1 wrote:
E Orix wrote:I have two plastic buckets, one has a lot of holes drilled in it.
I fill the undrilled bucket with 2/3 of seed, tea spoon of Vircon S and fill with water.
It will soak for 3 to 4 hours, the contents are then tipped into the bucket and drained very well no rinsing .
Finally the seed is put into plastic containers and into the freezer. I run a good number of birds and that will last me
nearly a week during breeding season.
In my book it's an easy and good form of feed
So I gather you don't wait for it to sprout? I've always wondered if that makes a nutritional difference...
It doesn't need to be nutritional but it is slightly,just soaked seed is easily digested and they can fill a young crop quickly especially before night fall.I tend to sprout mine and freeze it because of that extra nutrition/sugars it supplies to my birds,i sprout 2 ten litre buckets at a time/drain for a few hours and add a finch soft food to it then freeze.The soft food works in two ways,it dries the sprouted seed out so it want form an ice block and the birds get to eat it as it sticks to the seed.This amount lasts my birds at least 3 months so a day or so prep in warm weather for 90 days feeding.
Also agree with the boiling bit and freeze but make sure it's dry. Craig
Lachlan1

It doesn't need to be nutritional but it is slightly,just soaked seed is easily digested and they can fill a young crop quickly especially before night fall.I tend to sprout mine and freeze it because of that extra nutrition/sugars it supplies to my birds,i sprout 2 ten litre buckets at a time/drain for a few hours and add a finch soft food to it then freeze.The soft food works in two ways,it dries the sprouted seed out so it want form an ice block and the birds get to eat it as it sticks to the seed.This amount lasts my birds at least 3 months so a day or so prep in warm weather for 90 days feeding.
Also agree with the boiling bit and freeze but make sure it's dry. Craig
Cheers Craig.
werty

vettepilot_6 wrote:
werty wrote: I was after an easier way to feed them, less preperation
Sorry to be harsh but preparing soaked seed is nothing compared to live food prep etc.... and I'm afraid if your not prepared to continue giving your birds what they require maybe you need to think of changing hobbies... just my opinion :thumbup: FYI... I suppose you could boil seed instead of soaking? :think:
Vett are you saying you can't successfully breed gouldians without soaked seed?
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

werty wrote:
vettepilot_6 wrote:
Sorry to be harsh but preparing soaked seed is nothing compared to live food prep etc.... and I'm afraid if your not prepared to continue giving your birds what they require maybe you need to think of changing hobbies... just my opinion :thumbup: FYI... I suppose you could boil seed instead of soaking? :think:
No you can breed them on seed alone..but isn't it better to feed your birds a complete diet, rather than skimping ? Especially if you have them with other species.. :think:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
werty

vettepilot_6 wrote:
werty wrote:
vettepilot_6 wrote:
No you can breed them on seed alone..but isn't it better to feed your birds a complete diet, rather than skimping ? Especially if you have them with other species.. :think:
Vett the boiled seeds sounds interesting

How long do you have to boil it for?

Is just finch seed boiled in plain water and no vikron s added?
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

werty wrote:
vettepilot_6 wrote:
werty wrote:
vettepilot_6 wrote:[

Put the amount of seed you require into some hot water. Bring to boil. ..simmer for 2 to 3 minutes. ..drain well. ..Virkon S isn't needed..I prefer to soak seed.. :thumbup:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
werty

vettepilot_6 wrote:
werty wrote:
vettepilot_6 wrote:
werty wrote:
vettepilot_6 wrote:[

Put the amount of seed you require into some hot water. .simmer for 2 to 3 minutes. ..drain well. ..Virkon S isn't needed..I prefer to soak seed.. :thumbup:
Thanks mate, bloody brilliant

Easy and fast, I'll just chuck it in with the egg in the morning

Return to “Diet & Food”