Grit or No Grit?

For all your questions about diet and food for your finches
Dutchlindsay

Another question if I may Craig52, is granitic sand the same as decomposed granite? I am getting to the point where I have to choose a floor substrate. I am not a native Aussie and English is not my first language. Although a bit of topic, I am open to suggestions on floor substrate as well.Thanks :clap:
Life rewards action
Craig52

Dutchlindsay wrote:Another question if I may Craig52, is granitic sand the same as decomposed granite? I am getting to the point where I have to choose a floor substrate. I am not a native Aussie and English is not my first language. Although a bit of topic, I am open to suggestions on floor substrate as well.Thanks :clap:
Yes i would say decomposed or crushed granite. You can buy it from most garden supplies where it is called washed granitic sand or another one called washed river sand. Both contain the right sized stones amongst larger ones for finches.
Another one is fine shell grit, there is a lot of sand amongst it so you get soluble from the shell grit and insoluble from the sand. Cheers Craig
Dutchlindsay

much appreciated :thumbup:
Life rewards action
Dutchlindsay

Craig52, I was at the PSOA sale at Caboolture yday and asked the grit question to Dr Adrian Gallagher from Brisbane Bird Vet services. He did indeed confirm that all birds need grit :thumbup:
Life rewards action
Craig52

Dutchlindsay wrote:Craig52, I was at the PSOA sale at Caboolture yday and asked the grit question to Dr Adrian Gallagher from Brisbane Bird Vet services. He did indeed confirm that all birds need grit :thumbup:
Well done :thumbup: but not all birds just seedeaters with a crop. Craig
Dutchlindsay

Craig52, yep, very true. Had some grit still in the cupboard, added some (microwaved) eggshell and got a few small bowls for 50 cents at the recycling store. All birds have been supplied :)
Life rewards action
Dutchlindsay

Yes i would say decomposed or crushed granite. You can buy it from most garden supplies where it is called washed granitic sand or another one called washed river sand. Both contain the right sized stones amongst larger ones for finches.
Another one is fine shell grit, there is a lot of sand amongst it so you get soluble from the shell grit and insoluble from the sand. Cheers Craig[/quote]

Hi Craig52 Found several places that sell deco but bit of a drive. In my suburb they sell Crusher dust, would that be suitable as well?
Thanks again
Life rewards action
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I thought crusher dust was very dusty blue metal? Am I wrong?
LML
LML
BOERBOEL

Agree with Craig 100%. Spot on.

Return to “Diet & Food”