preferance

For all your questions about diet and food for your finches
Bribri

Mealworms maggots or white ants whats your preferance
Trilobite

I dont prefer any of them, they all taste like S*&t.
My birds however will eat all of them, plus crickets, roaches and moths. For convenience they get maggots 24/7, and treated with the others, just to difficult to get termites regularly.
Cheers
Trilobite
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Trilobite wrote:I dont prefer any of them, they all taste like S*&t.
My birds however will eat all of them, plus crickets, roaches and moths. For convenience they get maggots 24/7, and treated with the others, just to difficult to get termites regularly.
:clap: :clap: I find mealworms do taste okay (although the dried ones don't taste like anything)..we will probably be all eating them in the future as a protein fix if the world keeps filling up with people :think: :silent:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Tiaris

Depends which species you have. For most estrildid finch species, termites give the best breeding results although for most of them maggots are a decent substitute. For some species (Melbas, other Pytilias & Bluecaps) its generally a waste of time trying to substitute.
Trilobite

Well I have to disagree Tiaris - in this last week I have had another 5 Melba's fledged on maggots alone and only dry seed - no other live food and no other supplements - noting this is supposed to be the quite time of the year for me. I have also had a bundle of RC Cordons as well.
Cheers
Trilobite
Tiaris

I did say generally. I'd also be very happy to wager that more young Melbas overall get thrown out dead before feathering than are successfully reared on maggots alone. You've done very well to rear a clutch of 5 on maggots alone as that is a rare achievement. General advise is the best type to give to beginners not that which is very different from most cases experienced.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I dont prefer any of them, they all taste like S*&t.
Still laughing. :lolno:
LML
LML

Return to “Diet & Food”