Passwell and eggs & biscuits. Do they really eat it?

For all your questions about diet and food for your finches
Birds_lover

I've been reading a lot about soft foods for finches. So I decided to feed my siskins and goldfinches with passwell crumble, egg & biscuits mix and Vetfarm finch crumbles. They were never interested. Vetfarm has a video explaining how to get the birds interested, but it didn't work to me.

Do siskins and goldfinches eat this kind of food?
Craig52

Birds_lover wrote:I've been reading a lot about soft foods for finches. So I decided to feed my siskins and goldfinches with passwell crumble, egg & biscuits mix and Vetfarm finch crumbles. They were never interested. Vetfarm has a video explaining how to get the birds interested, but it didn't work to me.

Yes but only in the breeding season not all year. Start feeding it just before the breeding season,September or late August and copious amounts of seeding grasses/thistle heads and oily seeds. Boiled egg is another source of rearing food. Craig
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I include it in their greens mix, which I feed daily to all of my birds. (Some breed in winter, so I need to prepare it year round)

The recipe is:
1 cup silverbeet
2 cups kale
1 whole bok choy
2 tbsp paswell egg and biscuit

Make sure the greens have been washed, so it's wet enough that the egg and biscuits bonds to it. Then whack it all in the food processor for a few seconds. (my Sunbeam takes about 5 seconds) Occasionally I throw in a little something extra like carrot, broccoli or apple.

The mix feeds 30 finches and 20 parrots, most of whom clean the bowl.
werty

Birds_lover wrote:I've been reading a lot about soft foods for finches. So I decided to feed my siskins and goldfinches with passwell crumble, egg & biscuits mix and Vetfarm finch crumbles. They were never interested. Vetfarm has a video explaining how to get the birds interested, but it didn't work to me.

I feed my gouldians the vetafarm finch crumble

For the first 3 months they wouldn't touch it

I tried mixing it, leaving it in on its own

Finally after 3 months they tried it

Now they love it, I feed it everyday all year round, breeding and non breeding

Its in a dish on its own, they absolutely smash it

Now they love it better than seeds, eggs and green food
Birds_lover

Thank you guys. Another question I have is about the passwell. According to the instruction, it's meant to be mixed up with warm water. However, when it's dried, it's got a good texture. Do I really need to soak it? I am thinking of feeding it dried straight off the package.

I have canaries that don't even touch the wet mixture, but like when I feed it dry.
DonnaJ

I feed it dry and they love it, both my canaries and my finches. My gouldians have raised their chicks on this along with soaked seed and broccoli, all chicks are healthy and strong.

Last year I baked a birdie bread for my canaries for their nesting food, but this year I am going to try the dried egg and biscuit along with their soaked seed and broccoli and see how it goes. I am hoping for it to go well as it is a lot easier than baking the bread.

Return to “Diet & Food”