Freezing Green Panic

For all your questions about diet and food for your finches
BrettB

I have a lot of green panic seeding at the moment, and no birds breeding.
Is it OK to freeze the seed, and if so am I better to strip the green seed from the stalks or leave them intact.

Cheers
Brett
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are ." Anais Nin
Craig52

BrettB wrote:I have a lot of green panic seeding at the moment, and no birds breeding.
Is it OK to freeze the seed, and if so am I better to strip the green seed from the stalks or leave them intact.

Cheers
Brett
I would strip it and freeze because the leaves get freezer burn and make the plant and its seed look unappetising. If you have the time get an eating fork and place it at the bottom of the frond on a slight angle against it, at the same time pull the frond through the fork and the majority of the seed will pop off. Best to do this on an old bed sheet to collect later to freeze imo. Craig
wagga

I try to collect as much as I can in the growing season. As Craig said stripping off the seed allows for a huge amount of seed to be stored away for later use. You can then dish it out individually or within your sprouted seed / soft mix combinations. No need to defrost, I serve it straight out of freezer each day.
Life in Port Macquarie is the ultimate Aussie sea change lifestyle.
Tiaris

If you have plenty of freezer space &/or stripping becomes too tedious the whole head freezes ok if placed loosely in cardboard boxes with lid. - shoe boxes are ideal.
Trying to pack the heads too tightly is a mess when its time to get them out & feed.
BrettB

Thank you for all the responses

Cheers
Brett
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are ." Anais Nin

Return to “Diet & Food”