Sprouting seed from now on

For all your questions about diet and food for your finches
Tiaris

I have been feeding sprouted seed (among many other things) to my birds daily for a fair few years.
A couple of months ago I ran out of Virkon S which I had been regularly using with the "Fidler/no rinse method" - soak, drain without rinsing & stir regularly until sprouted, then freeze for later use.
I tried using Apple Cider Vinegar as a crude disinfectant/Virkon substitute, but found that it killed the seed (didn't sprout) and the soaked seed smelt badly of vinegar even after thorough rinsing. So this was a definite failure.
I then tried soaking the seed in water (tank water), rinsing it once under the tap briefly through a kitchen sieve, & then stir regularly until evenly sprouted, then freeze. Even in the very hot conditions of late this has resulted in a nice clean batch of sprouts without odour each time so I won't ever be bothered using any chemical disinfectant again.
Just the one rinse for about 10 seconds as I tip the soaked seed out of its soaking containers and otherwise exactly the same as the virkon method. The same only cheaper and chemical free. Clean water - great stuff.
matcho

Whatever works for you, go for it.
Canary

I have always only soaked my seed in water.

I have bottles with womens stocking over the top with an elastic band around the opening.

I soak the seed for 24 hours, rinsing after about six hours and 11 hours.

The next day I leave the strained seed in the bottles on top of the water heater, again rinsing a couple of times during the day.

The next morning, the seed is nicely sprouted. I rinse again and drain and feed to the birds. They usually go for the sprouted seed first.
Last edited by Canary on 04 Jan 2016, 06:39, edited 1 time in total.
Craig52

Tiaris wrote:I have been feeding sprouted seed (among many other things) to my birds daily for a fair few years.
A couple of months ago I ran out of Virkon S which I had been regularly using with the "Fidler/no rinse method" - soak, drain without rinsing & stir regularly until sprouted, then freeze for later use.
I tried using Apple Cider Vinegar as a crude disinfectant/Virkon substitute, but found that it killed the seed (didn't sprout) and the soaked seed smelt badly of vinegar even after thorough rinsing. So this was a definite failure.
I then tried soaking the seed in water (tank water), rinsing it once under the tap briefly through a kitchen sieve, & then stir regularly until evenly sprouted, then freeze. Even in the very hot conditions of late this has resulted in a nice clean batch of sprouts without odour each time so I won't ever be bothered using any chemical disinfectant again.
Just the one rinse for about 10 seconds as I tip the soaked seed out of its soaking containers and otherwise exactly the same as the virkon method. The same only cheaper and chemical free. Clean water - great stuff.
I hear what you are saying Tiaris, i have done that quite often when the weather is warm as the seed sprouts very quickly, usually 1-2 days after the rinse. It's the cold weather where i use Virkon s as the seed may take up to 3- 4 days or more to even pip which is the worry regarding mould etc over that time so MF's home land is cold all of the time which is why they would have to use chemicals.
I also freeze about 15 containers at a time but have to add Passwell's Finch Soft Food to it before freezing to dry it out otherwise it will end up a solid ice block of seed,so it's a bonus of a drying agent and a nutritious supplement being fed at the same time. I know E Orix is going to come back and say just soak it then freeze but i believe if you are going to the trouble of soaking it why not sprout it for the extra nutrients.
Craig
Brooksy

Tiaris wrote:I have been feeding sprouted seed (among many other things) to my birds daily for a fair few years.

Have you tried using white vinegar instead of using apple cider vinegar?
Finchy

I like it! That's even simpler than my 'tea strainer method', so I may try that in hot weather. I also found Virkon-S to be of limited value to sprouting, even though I think it's a great product for other purposes. Like vinegar, it's very acidic, so it might directly hinder sprouting.

(Tea Strainer Method - helps to keep seed evenly moist and contained for vigorous rinsing, if needed: https://youtu.be/0VUJI_qcG2A )
E Orix

I guess the reason for me feeding soaked/sprouted seed could be different from others.
My reason is not totally nutrition based but also for a quickly digestible food that the parent birds
can access and feed to their chicks. My birds have access to a varied diet which seems to work for me.
Also I feed out over a plastic bucket full of soaked seed a week and shooting it could have problems.
While I agree that you can soak seed without Vircon S(I did it that way for years) I still use it as it gives me a greater
period of time before any chance of a yeast or other development.
Common bleach works well if you give the seed a rinse.
If you soak over night rinse it and feed out the next day there is little risk.
Either way to me it has to be good.
Tiaris

I haven't tried white vinegar but I assume it was the acidity of ACV which killed the seed & I presume white would have similar acidity.
I let mine sprout mainly due to the enhanced nutritional value compared to dry seed. Its softness & palatability also makes it an ideal rearing food as per E.orix's use of soaked seed.
I sprout 4 litres of finch mix at a time. At the same time I also sprout 1 litre of parrot sprouting mix (pigeon peas, mung beans, dunpeas, safflower, corn, wheat) and 1 litre of half hulled oats & half grey sunflower. All these bigger sprouted seeds are smashed in the blender & mixed with 2 litres of blended veges - last batch mixed yesterday included leb cucumber, sweet potato, broccoli, peas & corn, comfrey, chicory, French sorrel, cos lettuce & baby spinach.
Each litre of sprouted finch mix is mixed with 1 dessertspoon of oil-based supplement (Turbobooster used yesterday but also sometimes also use garlic oil, cod liver & wheatgerm oil or occasionally calcivet for a couple of batches at the start of winter) + 1 heaped dessertspoon each of livamol and wombaroo insectivore mix & half a teaspoon of ID yeast. Once these are mixed in I add a litre of the blended big sprouts/blended veges and put into 2 litre lidded containers (milkseed containers) then freeze it. I make up 8 litres (4 containers) each batch which lasts me 8 days.
shox

Tiaris,

I have used the same method for many years, fortunately to date no problems. Can I ask what mix of seed you use for sprouting, I regularly change mine not sure if right or wrong but like my birds enjoy a varieties.
Tiaris

The finch mix is red pannicum, White, jap & plain canary.

Return to “Diet & Food”