Saltbush for goulds

For all your questions about diet and food for your finches
Bruffy62

Hello all
Iv'e recently just aquired 3pair of aust yellow goulds, a tip the breeder gave me was to supply saltbush in pots- high mineral content, the plants in his many aviaries were ravished, so i found a nursery that supplies native coastal plants .
I tasted two varieties one was quite nice (might use in a salad) the other a tad bitter, anyway im giving them a shot when they grow bigger
Anyone else tried this?
Also i read that using garlic powder in bulk or bay leaves seed should deter insects?
Would bay leaves or garlic be ok in nestboxes?
Could they be usefull in air sack mite control?
Any thoughts would be welcome
Thanks Steve
Tiaris

Some people used to use bay leaves in stored dry seed to deter flour moth years ago.
I have old man saltbush growing in a couple of aviaries & apart from a little picking at new tips by Yellow Siskins I'd have to say that my finches are generally very indifferent to it (to eat) except for Redbrows nesting in it. At other breeders' aviaries I've seen the smaller-leaved saltbushes absolutely demolished by finches which like greens. Definitely worth a try if you have access to it.
Garlic - useful inclusion in diet to reduce incidence of bacterial infections - not sure that it or bayleaves would have any significant effect on air sac mite though.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Pleased to say that salbush (variety unknown) comes up here as a weed. Mostly my finches enjoy it, but occassionally they do not. Persume it has to do with the growth stage, or maybe even moisture content. As it is the same birds and the same bushes, just different times.
LML
LML
Bruffy62

Thanks for the replies, i did source small leaf saltbush they were the last plants the nursery had , i will find out their named next weekend
Steve
booty

Hi Steve , I am also chasing some salt bush . Did you find out the name and if its available .cheers booty
E Orix

If you plant the small leafed Salt Bush in your aviary you will need to enclose it in a wire cage.
Should you not do that the birds will mow it to a stick and it will die.
Maybe that's a hint that at least some species like to eat it.
MuzzaD

I grow a dozen Old Man Saltbush and feed regularly to all my finches and parrots. They love it. Do find quite a lot in their water bowls the next day. Also have some in pots and rotate them through the aviaries. I have seen the small leaf used in Qld but have had difficulty getting some in nurseries in WA. I prune the bushes heavily each year as the birds prefer the softer new leaves. The rest makes good mulch for the veg garden.
Stu

Return to “Diet & Food”