Frozen house fly maggots

For all your questions about diet and food for your finches
davlee

Are they any good for finches? They are the only option I have as they are easily obtained.

I have Orange breasts, Cordons, Double bars, Cubans & Gouldians. I am not particularly concerned with breeding, although if it happens that is a bonus.

I haven't kept finches for very long and until now have only fed them seed and some greens along with corn cob.
MuzzaD

I am not sure about frozen maggots but a number of people I know put theirs in a fridge to slow up development before feeding out when required.
I feed mine daily to the aviaries. These come straight from the fly box. It definitely makes a difference to my Longtails ( Blackhearts) and the Gouldians. The African Fires also queue up to get their share. Even the Zebs will take them. There are some interesting sites on the web about fly breeding in other countries and are a great source of protein. White ants are the ultimate but very hard to locate and continually collect.
MuzzaD
Craig52

MuzzaD wrote:I am not sure about frozen maggots but a number of people I know put theirs in a fridge to slow up development before feeding out when required.
I feed mine daily to the aviaries. These come straight from the fly box. It definitely makes a difference to my Longtails ( Blackhearts) and the Gouldians. The African Fires also queue up to get their share. Even the Zebs will take them. There are some interesting sites on the web about fly breeding in other countries and are a great source of protein. White ants are the ultimate but very hard to locate and continually collect.
MuzzaD
Muzza is right regarding keeping your maggots in the fridge but do not freeze them as they go black and rot quickly when they thaw out.
Use the search button to obtain plenty information regarding maggots on this subject,no need to google as they get their information from here :D anyhow. Craig
davlee

vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

:D looks like a good idea :thumbup: let us know how your birds go ..
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
MuzzaD

For the smaller finches in Oz I think the smaller maggots are best. I use the little "stable" fly as my base. They seem even smaller than the common house fly. Not sure if they are different but appear to be. Get some maggots in the horse manure and started by putting these in flaky bran in the fly box. I pick up bags of manure each week to put around my fruit trees. Do not have a fly problem around the fruit trees as the Magpies and Wrens seem to be very active for a few days after the manure goes on.

Return to “Diet & Food”