Growing clover

For all your questions about diet and food for your finches
gomer

Are there any members growing clover for finch food ? If so what type is the prefered to grow please or taken readily by the birds. Red, white ,sweet, strawberry other !! I am looking at initially trying it in trays possibly in the glass house later once set up.

I have read this with interest but want the plant not sprout.
http://www.aussiefinchforum.net/viewtop ... 42&t=11283
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
Craig52

gomer wrote:Are there any members growing clover for finch food ? If so what type is the prefered to grow please or taken readily by the birds. Red, white ,sweet, strawberry other !! I am looking at initially trying it in trays possibly in the glass house later once set up.

I have read this with interest but want the plant not sprout.
http://www.aussiefinchforum.net/viewtop ... 42&t=11283
As mentioned in that link, Mike Fiddler uses red clover to sprout and grow to the stage of feeding out of about 50mm tall. The whole punnet is placed in the aviary till it is eaten down to the growing medium. At the open days he used to have, the growing and feeding of his clover was included in the presentations, including the visit to the glass house where he grows it.
You maybe able to source some info from some of Mikes writings or video presentations. Craig
matcho

Clover is a legume, same as beans and peas, alfalfa and peanuts, just to name few. Enriches the soil with nitrogen, that is why it is used a a rotation crop. I have often wondered if it could be used as a green additive. It is green, looks full of moisture. Easier to seek out than dandelions and milk thistle. Besides, had an absolute *censored* year in my yard for winter grass which was normally my "go to" for greens. The local reserves around here are covered in it. I thought I had some huge clover in the back yard but turned out to be oxalis. Not sure how it would go but the clover to me seems good. Only problem I would have is with the bees who love the flowers, it is coming on spring and things are starting to ramp up here. I am allergic to bees, so might have to invest in an epi-pen.

Thanks for the info. Love this place

Ken.!
gomer

I had already read this aswell below but Greg pointed out some interesting information in Tiaris other thread. So I was wondering if any other new info was out there ?

http://www.cliftonfinchaviaries.org/tfc ... clover.htm
gomer

I Also have tons of clover on the property at the moment. I may use some while its about my only concern using it is picking up any Deadly Spurge - AKA poisonous milkweed with it. Being it in a uncontrolled environment. I am unsure if the birds had a shovel full in the aviary will they also eat the spurge.(if by chance any was in it).
Craig52

gomer wrote:I had already read this aswell below but Greg pointed out some interesting information in Tiaris other thread. So I was wondering if any other new info was out there ?

http://www.cliftonfinchaviaries.org/tfc ... clover.htm
That's the link gomer, but in your case grow it as MF does as i wouldn't chance any undesirables among the field stuff including worm egg carrying insects. Craig
MuzzaD

Gary Fitt spoke at a FSWA meeting about feeding finches. What was interesting was the large number of seed and grass variations in the stomach system of finches that had been investigated in the wild. I now put as much greens and seeding grasses from my vege garden and from my pastures as I can collect to give variety to my finches. This includes clovers, Lucerne and Asian greens from the garden and many types of seeding grasses from veldt, rye,thistle, wild oats etc, etc. I usually try and cut the larger greens into small pieces but the grasses go in as picked (usually cut with secateurs). They then pick and choose what they want. No problems so far and healthy birds.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I also pick anything and everything in the way of grasses from the yard. Not the verge, avoiding exhaust toxins. Only thing they did not touch was a very tall rye grass, but it may still wind up in nests.
LML
LML
GP Finches

Please read my article in the recent edition of "Just Finches and Softbills"
"Growing Microgreens for your Birds"

I have been feeding microgreens/clover for a couple of years now. The birds love it especially when they have young. I have developed a simple cost effect way of growing it in my garage. I have control over quality doing it this way. I no longer feed any other greens other than clover.
Craig52

GP Finches wrote:Please read my article in the recent edition of "Just Finches and Softbills"
"Growing Microgreens for your Birds"

I have been feeding microgreens/clover for a couple of years now. The birds love it especially when they have young. I have developed a simple cost effect way of growing it in my garage. I have control over quality doing it this way. I no longer feed any other greens other than clover.
Can you possibly put up a link Greg for non JFS subscribers. Craig :wave:

Return to “Diet & Food”