Growing clover

For all your questions about diet and food for your finches
GP Finches

You have to purchase this great magazine to read it. Below is a link to the web page. Check the cover/contents of the latest edition (Issue 49)

http://www.nzbirdz.co.nz/justfinches.php#
gomer

I have not started the hydroponic system yet but been doing it in seedling trays in soil. Growing about 5 trays every 6 days with great success. Only putting it in five aviaries. Yes other greens are less taken while the clover is there.The only thing I am not sure of with the tray system that I need to find out is how many times I can use the same soil.

Just got the Just finches mag have it on the coffee table waiting to be read on my days off.

Heres a old link I have Craig with back issues etc.

http://www.nzbirdz.co.nz/justfinches.php#

http://www.nzbirdz.co.nz/showdetails.ph ... itemid=111
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
Nat&Glenn

Hi Gomer
When talking about growing clover is this what you are talking about ???
https://www.bunnings.com.au/mr-fothergi ... s_p3010403
I was in Mitre 10 today (yeah I know the link is Bunnings ) looking for clover seed after reading your topic
and this is what I could found
Glenn
gomer

I bought a kilo of each at my local stockfeed store one was haifa white clover the other i would need to look up strawberry? They had the scientific names on the bags. I may have at home still.the satchels you have there look ok to me.The difference is i plant one type of seed each end they eat the lot eventually.

I just read Gregs article and he made some good points to keep an eye out for being mould/fungus. This is somthing i now need to look into with the tray sysytem.I initially was doing it in trays as a trial but i am growing more then i need.
Nat&Glenn

Hi Gomer
Thanks I'll give them a try
Also found some seeds for both White & Red clover for sale down here in Sunny Tassie
I'll get some of them as well
Do you just use bagged potting mix to grow it in
Glenn
gomer

SInce I live on some land I made a mix of good soil from around the house for the base in the tray and put a few mm of seeding starter on top then the seed. I have found that you dont want anything to solid in the soil eg large pieces of bark or clumps of dirt rocks etc..I just sprinkle the seed on top and give it a lght swish around with my hand some stays on top some gets covered with soil. I dont think the clover would need to much tender loving care as you find it everywhere out in the paddocks in different soil conditions.

I was thinking of giving it a light virkon water on the last water before going in the aviary as a trial next to eliminate any chance of mould just a thought.

Also since masters was having a sell out I bought this seaweed concentrate enough to make up 1000 litres so on the first water it gets a hit of that.

Another thing with the seed Nat and Glenn is the older it is the less viable it is. If you get the seed from ebay and have no luck or a low strike rate it maybe old seed. The seed I got was for farmers for cropping so it has a high striking rate.

At this stage I am happy with the results as mentioned with now just the reuse of soil issue to consider. Cheap way of growing it.
Nat&Glenn

Hi Gomer
Thanks for that you have saved me some money by the sounds of it
I'll source my seed from a better place
clover grows so well in our garden
Thanks again
Glenn

Return to “Diet & Food”