Some of my foods and traps

For all your questions about diet and food for your finches
Masterfincher

Hi all, just wanted to show a couple of ways I collect and keep my termites. I found my birds like the tree dwelling termites better than the ground ones, so about once a month I get the ladder and go find a relatively low mound in a tree that I break into with a small pick, collecting falling bits with a flexible tub held against the tree. When home, I separate them out as shown - two ways to keep them contained and keep black ants out.
One way - put some double sided tape around the bucket/tub, and fine mesh over the top to stop flying insects (a lot of the last lot I got had wings; must be the right time of year for them). Second way - put in containers (in this case plastic drawers) and balance on a bucket/another container filled with water. Both seem to work. In winter, I don't have to do either - just straight into the bucket on the ground and they don't escape/don't get overtaken by other ants.
I put a soaked sponge in the container every few days for moisture, but have to monitor for mould especially as it gets hotter.
Anyway, my Ruddies, cordons, and Cubans love them at this time of year while breeding, and my longtails, St Helenas, and others have a good go at them too.
Added a pic of my insect catcher too - a 75 watt bulb, second hand exhaust fan and fine net held on with a bungee strap - works well now the weather is warming up again. I just put the bag in the fridge overnight and shake into the aviary the next morning.
And a pic of my traps - ones about 30 years old and a wire one I made not long ago using the same principal - that I use to catch young out of my aviaries. They work well for the juveniles but I find the older birds have learnt to avoid them if they have been caught before, but it saves me a lot of time. As you can see, my dog would love to get in there though :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Diet & Food”