Using Egg & Biscuit dry

For all your questions about diet and food for your finches
davlee

Only rarely will my finches consume it when made crumbly with a small amount of water.
More of them consume it when left as a powder (especially Orange Breasts).

Could I be doing something wrong when mixing?

When using as powder, can it be left in the aviary for longer? When mixed I remove it after about 6 hours.

Dave
Craig52

davlee wrote:Only rarely will my finches consume it when made crumbly with a small amount of water.
More of them consume it when left as a powder (especially Orange Breasts).

Could I be doing something wrong when mixing?

When using as powder, can it be left in the aviary for longer? When mixed I remove it after about 6 hours.

Dave
Hi Dave, egg and biscuit was originally manufactured for canaries and mainly used for cabinet breeding of them as it can be fed for much longer without souring because it is full of sodium,taste it yourself. I have tried to introduce it to my finches but they aren't interested in it,have you tried a boiled egg cut in half or mashed as they will have a go at it but it goes off really quick in warm conditions.
Try Madera cake, full of eggs and very nutritous. They love it fresh but will peck at it when it dries out also. Craig
Tiaris

Mixing it with sprouted seed as a relatively small proportion of the mix is a highly palatable form for many finch species to take it (or other dry supplements).
roma9009

My finches take it dry
davlee

Thanks for the replies.

If used dry, can it be left in the aviary for longer. I presume without moisture it won't produce mould.

Thanks for the Madera cake idea. I will give that a try. Dave
Tiaris

Left dry it will last relatively long for 2 reasons: It won't go mouldy & few birds will eat it.
Any supplement is best offered fresh regularly, in the most palatable form & only offer the amount they will eat. This saves wastage, doesn't leave leftover food which could possibly encourage pests, and provides the best and freshest nutrition to the birds.

Return to “Diet & Food”