winter diets

For all your questions about diet and food for your finches
Ian Hamilton

I remember reading this last year, & with Winter around the corner it might be time to start thinking about doing anything different this winter. I'd think most will do nothing different. That's ok, your prerogative.

I'm interested to hear from all, but also Greg (GP Finches) with respect to the timing of cycling & the change (decrease / Increase ??) of dietary factors.

Thanks
Ian.
GP Finches

Hi Ian,

Finch diets are an interesting topic. Having a logical and scientific look at what we do as bird keepers can only assist the husbandry and health of our birds. At the moment I am modulating factors to stop my birds breeding as we approach the colder months.

So it might be best to ask first why do birds breed in the first place? What stimulates birds to breed? Its obvious but starts the conversation as to why you would bother cycling anyway.

Cheers
Greg
Craig52

It is very difficult to try and stop some species to breed over Winter in particular Lesser Redbrows as you know Greg. Most Australian finches from the Northern area's of Oz breed at the late stage of the Wet Season of which in the Southern States it is Autumn and Winter. Masked finches in particular White Ears, Crimsons finches in particular WB'd and Gouldians all breed in a similar pattern.
I tried it once with my crimsons and it was a night mare of young with deficiency coloured wings and aggression with adult birds over nesting. Craig
GP Finches

Hang on just a minute. Go back to the question asked then we can go forward. I knew this was going to be a interesting topic. Thanks Ian!

I will publish a paper in Finch News and Hunter Valley Finch News latter in the year covering all of this. An excellent paper was presented at Finches 17 on part of this topic by 2 overseas presenters.

So:

Why do finches breed. What are their triggers to breed? Any ideas please.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I treat my birds much the same all year round. With increases or decreases in seeding grass subject to availability. Which is not a big deal as I have a reticulated grass patch for them. Also in the hottest and wettest parts of the year I leave off a little due to discomfort for both them and me. I find that the birds like me tend to not want them breeding in the hottest or coldest parts of the year. So I get a couple of slow months twice a year naturally. Birds do what birds do. If you want to get scientific I applaud your enthusiasm, but it is not for everyone.
LML
LML
GP Finches

Lets try this.

Why do birds breed in the wild? Random chance, luck, because they want to?
GP Finches

Craig52 wrote: 16 Apr 2018, 09:39 It is very difficult to try and stop some species to breed over Winter in particular Lesser Redbrows as you know Greg. Most Australian finches from the Northern area's of Oz breed at the late stage of the Wet Season of which in the Southern States it is Autumn and Winter. Masked finches in particular White Ears, Crimsons finches in particular WB'd and Gouldians all breed in a similar pattern.
I tried it once with my crimsons and it was a night mare of young with deficiency coloured wings and aggression with adult birds over nesting. Craig
Not true (discussing Australian species in this case) . By cycling the Lessers I breed them when I want them to and doubled the breeding results in the last 3 years. I don't breed them in winter because the cold is a stressor on top of breeding stress and extra energy expenditure to keep warm. Same with the WE Masked that I have started with. I breed them in Spring/Summer when I want them to. I have cycled Gouldians to start breeding in August/September to prove the point.

Local conditions do play a role so take advantage of the environmental patterns.

Happy to purchase some of your WB Crimsons and cycle them to breed as required.
starman

GP Finches wrote: 16 Apr 2018, 09:52 Hang on just a minute. Go back to the question asked then we can go forward. I knew this was going to be a interesting topic. Thanks Ian!

I will publish a paper in Finch News and Hunter Valley Finch News latter in the year covering all of this. An excellent paper was presented at Finches 17 on part of this topic by 2 overseas presenters.

So:

Why do finches breed. What are their triggers to breed? Any ideas please.
I would say innate responses triggered by Hormones, Photoperiod and Food Cycle ??
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.
starman

I probably should have included Flock Responses as well.
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.
GP Finches

Now we are getting close.

Diet - or food availability which is linked to photo-period, temperature, precipitation, humidity etc.
Photo-period - this is important to biorhythms as well. The bird is innately equipped to respond to this.

These are the most powerful triggers for birds to breed in the wild. This as you rightly pointed out, produces changes in hormones and many other physiological processes occur. There are many literature articles on this. Even birds living living close to the equator are affected by subtle changes in photo-period.

Our captive birds have the same innate ability to respond to breeding triggers. The problem is they are in captivity. We as bird breeders are responsible for their food, water, environment, mates we put together and what birds we place them in with. So could we modulate breeding activity in our captive birds for better breeding results, health and husbandry practices. Of course! This makes keeping and breeding birds so much more interesting and removes a lot of chance in our hobby.

Birds still do unusual things but when you can modulate the powerful factors for breeding, the hobby becomes so much more fun. A win for the bird and a win for the owner!

Hence why I cycle my birds. This is an art that I am continually refining.

Return to “Diet & Food”