Sprouted Seed - How Much?

For all your questions about diet and food for your finches
thill2

I'm doing frozen sprouted seed with Prima supplement mixed in. I'm currently giving 4 breeding pairs with young in the cage 1 tablespoon each morning. They are also getting greens, a mixture of special seeds with crumbies and live food. So my questions is how much sprouted seed do others give their birds?
gomer

I mix mine with frozen grass heads and milk seed aswell. But if its just chitted seed, I would say as much as they consume but still with a little left over at the next feed. The amount per aviary changes depending on if any birds are breeding or coming into breeding. Also if the chicks are getting bigger or about to fledge. One table spoon maybe about correct as a starting point depending on species but that can change very quick.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
starman

Much the same as Gomer really....mine are fairly self-regulating when it comes to sprouted/soaked seed ie. when they leave the left-overs to dry out and will not touch it any more they get less next time, and if they eat the lot I will increase it a little until the happy medium is reached. They will, in effect, let you know how much they need. It varies with the species, breeding cycle and time of year.
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.

Return to “Diet & Food”