Suppliment feeders

For all your questions about diet and food for your finches
shnapper20

Hi i currently use d cups for feeding my birds suppliments ie egg shell. Grit. Charcoal etc inevitably the birds fill them up with poop as they perch on rim of the cup. Ive tried open dishes with similar results. I was considering buying small seed feeders. But they may clog. Has anyone out there got around this problem? Thanks john
Ian Hamilton

I use small dishes, mine are clay with lacquered inner which makes them easy to clean. I will also use plant pot saucers. These work well in aviaries but I'd think if it was a cage, I'd be using D-Cups too.
MuzzaD

In my cabinets and even in the aviaries as I have a small wire ledge inside a lift up hatch type door, I use plastic milk bottle tops. In the beginning had family and friends also collect for me. Now self sustaining from home collection.
Put in a fresh one with ground egg shell etc and one with soft food or soaked seed etc.
Easy to store in a small storage container so can have a lot and replace daily or when needed. Drop the used one's in a bucket with a bit of bleach for a few hours, rinse and ready to go again when dry.
Got the idea from a successful Qld Zebby breeder.
starman

I bought a batch of 2" square Melamine dishes for my supplements...I try to put them in 'strategic' places to discourage perchers from lingering on the rim too long, but nothing can keep them clean long term.
A friend uses the smallest size Vegemite plastic lids (yellow) in cabinets and I have seen others use 38mm and 50mm end caps for poly plumbing pipes in cages and cabinets....because of their squat design they are virtually impossible to turn over.
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.
MuzzaD

The small round (7cm diam 3 cm high) plastic/glass candle holders for Ikea are cheap and work well. But as you say still need frequent cleaning.
shnapper20

feeder.jpg
got this off ebay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Clear-Acryli ... 2749.l2649
the birds cant turn around and poop in it, it has a catching tray, it has been in the aviaries for a few weeks im impressed bought a few more.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
STUART WHITING

shnapper20 wrote: 07 Aug 2017, 08:45 Hi i currently use d cups for feeding my birds suppliments ie egg shell. Grit. Charcoal etc inevitably the birds fill them up with poop as they perch on rim of the cup. Ive tried open dishes with similar results. I was considering buying small seed feeders. But they may clog. Has anyone out there got around this problem? Thanks john
Hi there mate :wave:

I've been using D cup drinkers for years and only use these in me cages, yes I know exactly what yer mean when the birds poop in em, I've noticed that they'll mainly do this if they decide to roost up sitting on em,

What I'd be inclined to do is hook the D cups on the cage front as normal but position the cup at eaither end of the cage so the cup is still on the cage front but now also up against the side of the cage, this then means that a bird can still fly and perch onto the rim of the D cup and feed in a normal manner but will find it difficult to turn itself around on the cup and face outwards if this makes sence because its tail and rest of body will be in the way,

If the D cups are to be used in an aviary then the same positioning can be used by hanging on the mesh but by placing in the corners of the avairy,

So in affect no more or very little poop :thumbup:
D0NKEY

I use thw tiny plastic soy sauce dishes frlm the $2 shop. They can be overturned and need cleaning. I lile the idea of the milk bottle tops will try them.
CathyCraftz

shnapper I use the exact same feeder!
Have a nice day!
Sincerely, Cathy
“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” – Albus Dumbledore

Return to “Diet & Food”