How do you feed your seed?

For all your questions about diet and food for your finches
Darkangel1977

I have always fed my finches in bowls.... im currently designing a new suspended aviary and im thinking of using a steel seed feeder. The type that holds seed inside with a catchment box underneath to catch spilled seed and husks....and is mounted on the wall of the aviary. just curious as to what method people use themselves as an alternative to the good old seed bowl. Pros... cons...??? Thanks for your input!
Blue Gouldian Breeder and Bird lover
MuzzaD

In my suspendeds I use glass jars with screw on base. Bowls are difficult to predict if seed or husk in bowl. My suspendeds are outside the walkway but under the roof and have plastic blinds in front when needed. This means spent seed and husks fall to the ground outside and our Guinea fowl or wild birds generally keep it clean. I use hoppers like you describe in the aviaries.
Darkangel1977

Ok... so i guess the jar system you use is sitting on the bottom of the aviary? Or do you raise it up from the bottom of the aviary on a shelf or wall mount it somehow??? Yes i have parrots in a similair setup and the local doves and rosellas are my clean up crew haha
MuzzaD

Jars are on wire base of suspendeds which are about 1 metre from ground. In aviaries my hopper feeders with catching tray below are up about three quarters of the height to the roof on the side wall.
Darkangel1977

Ok great. I was just wurried perhaps the finches would feel uncomfortable feeding while standing on wire... my parrots being larger are not phased at all. Thanks for the advice :thumbup:
CathyCraftz

I use special bird feeders. They are actually designed for small parrots but they work fine with finches. There is a lid at the top for refilling the seed without taking the feeder out of the cage and holes near the bottom and a perch for the finches to stick their head in and eat. :P There is also a drawer at the very bottom and all the seed husks slide into it, making it easy to clean up. My finches stand on the lid to be fed their treats.
Have a nice day!
Sincerely, Cathy
“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” – Albus Dumbledore

Return to “Diet & Food”