grit

For all your questions about diet and food for your finches
BrettB

At the risk of taking this thread even further off topic, I would like to comment of the use of insoluble grit as a nutritional aid.
By definition it is insoluble, ie it does not dissolve, so the vast majority of it passes through the digestive tract. This would rule it out as a significant source of macro nutrients.
Could it be a source of micro nutrients? These are the chemicals listed on the back of any multivitamin bottle.
As a general principle micronutrients are better absorbed in organic form (attached to organic molecules, also known as food) than inorganic form (rocks)
Are your birds getting enough Molybdenum? I went down this track many years ago, it is the road to madness. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
Give your birds a varied diet and they should get all the micronutrients they need.

Cheers
Brett
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are ." Anais Nin
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The only experience (family not personal) that I have had with crop compaction was with baby budgies. When the breeder, who has always before and since used grainy sand for grit. Used very fine sand one year. Bad idea, it compacted.
LML
LML
starman

BrettB wrote: 17 Sep 2017, 10:57 I went down this track many years ago, it is the road to madness. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
For the aviculturist.... a road well-travelled....no GPS required.
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.
STUART WHITING

finchbreeder wrote: 17 Sep 2017, 12:37 The only experience (family not personal) that I have had with crop compaction was with baby budgies. When the breeder, who has always before and since used grainy sand for grit. Used very fine sand one year. Bad idea, it compacted.
LML
Mmm.......very interesting quote that finchbreeder, seeming that it's just been recently mentioned that a lot of Aussie finch breeders use sand in the bottom of there avaires and state that this is what there birds are used to and use it as grit,

I'm not so sure I'll be using it now after just being advised about its use :problem:

I've heard enough about insoluble grit and nothing is particularly good, all I've really heard is negative reports about its use,

At the present I'm sticking with soluble as at least the birds body acids can dissolve soluble if there are any problems, this to me would make far more sence :roll:
nicko

Here's my personal view for what it's worth.

While this topic has been interesting reading, scientifc evidence (about anything) can be very subjective as no two evidence's will totally agree. What I/we need to do is decide which to believe, whether that be breeders experience or scientific evidence & go with that. Evidence out of Amercia, Europe, Britain is not necessary relevant to Australia or visa versa & sometimes I think we probably try to be too kind.
Craig52

nicko wrote: 17 Sep 2017, 16:53 Here's my personal view for what it's worth.

While this topic has been interesting reading, scientifc evidence (about anything) can be very subjective as no two evidence's will totally agree. What I/we need to do is decide which to believe, whether that be breeders experience or scientific evidence & go with that. Evidence out of Amercia, Europe, Britain is not necessary relevant to Australia or visa versa & sometimes I think we probably try to be too kind.
Yes i agree nicko well said, just get on with breeding your birds, enjoy them and be happy. Leave the scientific stuff to the experts as they need to make a living too. :silent: Cheers Craig
STUART WHITING

nicko wrote: 17 Sep 2017, 16:53 Here's my personal view for what it's worth.

Hi nicko,

Yep I can go along with that, in fairness yer probably right as everyone is different and the general husbandry, diet and supplements of there birds can differ slightly aswell,
this in term could slightly alter the birds digestive system compared to other birds and of course it all depends on the birds themselves IE there strengths, stamina, immunity etc ;-)

Be lucky
E Orix

I won't get involved with regard insoluble or soluble grit I will leave that up the deep thinkers.
What I will say; until my birds start growing teeth I will be feeding grit or offering sand on the aviary floor.
If you are crushing up a concoction simply don't make it too fine, dust won't assist and go directly through the bird.
Grit passing through the digestion system can actually be regarded as a type of pipe cleaner, dust just does nothing in my opinion.
starman

E Orix wrote: 18 Sep 2017, 13:51
.......I will leave that up the deep thinkers.
...and that may well spell the end of the "Great Grit Debate" , EO. :lol:
Last edited by starman on 18 Sep 2017, 15:32, edited 1 time in total.
Sm.
starman

.(Duplicated Post).
Last edited by starman on 18 Sep 2017, 15:47, edited 1 time in total.
Sm.

Return to “Diet & Food”