Fonio Paddy

For all your questions about diet and food for your finches
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Anybody else tried these seeds? Have been using these seeds in place of Baycox etc....cant say for certain but so far during all our wet weather up here no losses as yet... Will be buying more I think as it does look promising instead of using meds for Coccidiousis... :thumbup:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Craig52

Never heard of it Dave, does it have some form of natural drug that effects the life cycle of coccidia. ? :wtf: Craig
MuzzaD

I have not heard of it either Craig but a little research and yes it does seem to have great natural properties. Grown in Africa, namely Uganda and seems to be used throughout Europe to prevent coccidiosis. I do not believe in my drier climate I have no real problem with this but do believe in using as much natural seed as possible. There was an article posted on AFF I believe which said Perilla seed has similar benefits. I think breeders in this state have somewhat taken to MIke FIdlers natural herb mix. Not sure of the name.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Craig52 wrote: 09 Nov 2017, 08:25 Never heard of it Dave, does it have some form of natural drug that effects the life cycle of coccidia. ? :wtf: Craig
https://www.aviancareonline.com/product ... opaddy-1kg .......This has a write up on it :thumbup: Looks like it may be good for Orange Breasts also to help with white feathers.... as it has these in it also... Amino acids in % of the present protein: 2.5 % Cystine , Isoleucine 4.1 %, Leucine 11.4 %, Lysine 2.5 %, Methionine 4.5 %, Phenylalanine 6.3 %, Threonine 3.7 %, Tryptophan 1.6 %, Tyrosine 3.5 %, Valine 5.5 %
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
D0NKEY

very interesting .. might give it a go
BrettB

Have I missed something, what has it got to do with coccidiosis?
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are ." Anais Nin
Craig52

Thanks, but $28 + Au a kilo? Think i will stick to my Solaminavit that supplies all those VM+A's. There is also that one they grow in Kununurra WA that has all those qualities but can't think of the name of it, tried to buy some when i was there but they wouldn't sell in small quantities. It might be the same seed, I did see chesnuts and yellow rumps getting into it in the crops. Craig.
starman

Craig52 wrote: 09 Nov 2017, 17:15 There is also that one they grow in Kununurra WA that has all those qualities but can't think of the name of it, tried to buy some when i was there but they wouldn't sell in small quantities. It might be the same seed, I did see chesnuts and yellow rumps getting into it in the crops. Craig.
Was it the Perilla that MuzzaD mentioned, Craig?
It is noted as having similar qualities.
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.
starman

BrettB wrote: 09 Nov 2017, 17:11 Have I missed something, what has it got to do with coccidiosis?
Hi Brett,

Fonio Paddy and Perilla are said to have the ability to give birds resistance to coccidiosis and cure them of it if introduced to infected birds.
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.
Ian Hamilton

I tried the Link - they dont send to Australia ( UK website) ---- I cant seem to find an Australian distributor. If anyone knows one, please share.

While we're at it Red & White Perilla is another seed of interest.

I also happened to stumble across a a previous AFF thread whilst googling which was a very interesting read. ( I hope the link works !
) viewtopic.php?f=42&t=9857

And for something sort of off topic... will irradiated seed germinate ? Hemp seed purchased legally from a well known Sydney supplier germinates, but doesn't seem to grow on... done purely out of curiosity of course :shh:

Return to “Diet & Food”