Gouldians drink 4 times as much as Zebras?

For all your questions about diet and food for your finches
Finchy

Just thought I'd share...

I have two groups of birds for sale - a cage of Gouldians, and a cage of Zebras, in the same location. Each cage has the same kind of bar-mounted drinker. I have more than twice as many Zebras (surprise) as Gouldians, but they go through less than half the amount of water. So the Gouldians appear to be drinking at least 4 x as much water as the Zebras.

No wonder it used to be believed that Gouldians are more 'sensitive' to meds and should be dosed lower - they are probably ingesting very much more. But, I don't know how this compares with other species. Maybe it's the Zebras that are are unusually low drinkers. Thoughts?

Anyone noticed a big difference in water intake for different species?
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Interesting observation. And having each type of bird in a seperate avairy or cage would be the easiest way to observe something like this.
LML
LML
starman

Finchy,
I've seen several research results that state that the metabolic water requirements for Zebra finches is extremely low compared to other (desert dwelling) birds, and this could explain their successful adaption to very harsh environments that others cannot tolerate. Whether this is perpetuated in conditions of abundant water, I am unsure, but it seems reasonable that it would.
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.
hanabi

Finchy, it's a long-shot, but is it possible that some of your Goulds are trying to bathe themselves in the mouth of the drinker, thus emptying it more quickly? That probably sounds crazy given that most feeders have small mouths making it near impossible for birds to bathe in, however ...

I cage breed and have water feeders with tiny mouths, yet that has not stopped my finches of various species trying to bathe in the tiny feeder mouths. While not very successful in drenching themselves, they are successful in splashing water out of the mouth onto their faces, and that can empty a feeder faster than normal. As is often the case it is very individual; some do it a lot, others don't seem to do it at all.
Finchy

Yes, there is a bit of splatter around, so some water wasted. Not much though.

The lesson might be to dose Zebras higher, rather than Gouldians lower. I guess it depends on the drinking habits of other commonly kept finch species - are Gouldains really big-drinkers, or just splashy and more thirsty than desert-adapted Zebras?
MuzzaD

I do believe Zebs drink little compared to some other species. But in the 14 suspended cabinets (1pair in each) I have working at the moment, each morning the water levels are vastly different. Some bathe more than others. This is more obvious when I am preparing for a show, and even in winter (no chance of rain wetting them) they can be quite wet in a morning and preening themselves. My Gouldians in the aviary like a bath as well. By my aviaries I have 2 terra cotta bowls, each afternoon the fairy wrens and splendid blue wrens and occasionally New Holland Honeyeaters are flying in and out bathing more than drinking but obviously doing a bit of both. My presence does not deter them. In and out of the tagasaste tree and the bowls for some time enjoying themselves.
CathyCraftz

My zebra hens hardly drink their water, maybe it's because zebras are much more adapted to dry areas than Gouldians?
Have a nice day!
Sincerely, Cathy
“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” – Albus Dumbledore

Return to “Diet & Food”