Help identifying these local seeds

For all your questions about diet and food for your finches
Darkangel1977

Ok. I have visited the site of the other seed i want to use, i have always seen this area over the years but have never tried it with my parrots or finches over the years.....

Im aiming to collect a load and freeze it and give a little fresh. Is it worth drying it out also? But again most of all can someone id it and tell me if its bird safe. I believe its on a wetish area that may be like an overflow canal sort of area in winter. Its near some paddocks and a sports ground. Thanks guys
2018-01-10 08.06.45.jpg
I will get a better pic of the head i collected when i get home if it will be easier
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Blue Gouldian Breeder and Bird lover
Darkangel1977

The other pic that didnt seem to attach...
2018-01-10 08.07.10.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tiaris

All grass seeds are bird safe IMO. Green is more palatable than dry for most (maybe all) grass seeds.
Darkangel1977

Thanks. Yes i know im being over cautious haha its in my nature. And just never want to give my birds the wrong thing. I appreciate everyones opinions and feedback!
Craig52

That is a type of reed or cane grass and its seed is very fine and fairly useless imo. Some breeders who breed Weavers like to grow this plant in their aviaries for them to nest in. Craig
Darkangel1977

Yes it is fine. Was thinking that once i finally picked it. Was going to give it a try with the gouldians but i guess no point. Cheers!!!!
Darkangel1977

Thought id hit the jackpot haha found an area full of it! Luckily the area also has sum of the other seeds i can use. Ive attached a pic to show just how fine the seed is. Would actually look nice in a planted aviary...
2018-01-10 11.04.21.jpg
MuzzaD

Fine seed should not be a problem. I feed lots of what we call crabgrass here in the West. Very Fine seed and all the finches love it. Cane grass or reeds can be nutritious. I think we sometimes worry too much about protein, etc, etc. what is probably more important is a balance of the nutrients etc that the birds eat. That is why in nature they range so freely. I like to watch the wild birds around here and see what they are landing on. The worry on open lands is council spraying. I am lucky and at present have a 20m x 10m area called my pumpkin patch. The melons and pumpkins grow under a field of all the left over seed from my aviaries. Every day I can collect enough fresh seed heads for all the cabinets and aviaries. What has been noticeable this year is the absence of white millet and the prevalence of Jap millet in the patch. Shows my birds preference for seed. They are pecking at the fresh Jap millet heads though. The parrots seem to have a fondness for the fresh Jap millet.
Darkangel1977

Well out of curiosity then anyone fed reed/cane grass to gouldians before? I might just chuck it in and see what they do. Cheers
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I feed lots of what we call crabgrass here in the West.
Excellent grass for the finches Muzza. Seems a bit scarce up here this year. Though have had lots in previous years.
LML
LML

Return to “Diet & Food”