Help identifying these local seeds

For all your questions about diet and food for your finches
Darkangel1977

2018-01-08 21.20.02.jpg
These are some of my local growing grass seeds that i collect while walking my dog, i was hoping someone out there could help identify them as far as what they are, but most of all if any are harmful to my birds. Im sure there is someone out there who can help!? Thankyou!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Blue Gouldian Breeder and Bird lover
Craig52

From L to R, common names. Prairie grass, Rye grass, Rats tail grass, some type of millet, green panic veldt grass, water grass, wild oats and barn yard millet.
All good for finches although rye grass is a bit toxic taken in large amounts when green.
Pick of the bunch for finches is Green Panic Veldt grass. Craig
Darkangel1977

Your amazing! :thumbup: :clap:

Funnily enough rye grass is the most common in my area. Can you recommend a good way to dry it out b4 feeding... and how dry it should be? I have also ordered sum rye seed from wildlife supplies up north... its on its way now, i presume it will be totally dry and a good alternative when the fresh stuff is unavailable. There is one more seed in my area i will get a photo of hopefully tomorow morning... stay tuned, id love to know that one too!!

Thanks again!
Last edited by Darkangel1977 on 09 Jan 2018, 10:09, edited 1 time in total.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Pick of the bunch for finches is Green Panic Veldt grass.
Wow i could not have named them, but agree completely with the above statement, and think this would be the best one to try preserving for later use. I am lucky enough to - with the use of retic - have some grasses all year round. Just me maybe, but I dont feed anything bigger than what is used in seed mixs dry.
LML
LML
Darkangel1977

I do also freeze some of what i collect for those times when pickings are scarce as i love seeing my birds tuck in with gusto as soon as the grass is placed in. I have recently ordered a few different seeds that i will trial soon.

I have to say yes the panic is the faveourite (the one grass the we get in the garden and the "weed" my wife hates the most) :roll:

My blue gouldian hen really loves the wild oats though and is probably the most quickly devoured of the lot!

Thanks again!!!! :wave:
fraudster

Green panic is a favourite of mine, and also banyard grass!! The birds love it. I feed it as is (as long as it's clean)
Tiaris

The 4th one is plantain (ribwort).
Darkangel1977

Is it safe for birds?
gomer

Yes it is I grew some from seed one year in a patch then harvested it and added it to my frozen mix. I can only say that it would be a extra seed there is better ones there you have harvested.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have to say yes the panic is the favourite (the one grass the we get in the garden and the "weed" my wife hates the most) :roll:
I seem to have deliberately planted and watered several plants of this in the back yard, to the point that hubby digs plants out and grumbles about my expanding "weeds" Put bunches that I had prunded off the bushes in the avairys this morning for feed and nesting materials/sites.
LML
LML

Return to “Diet & Food”