Black/white sesame seeds for gouldians??

For all your questions about diet and food for your finches
Darkangel1977

Gday. I have a packet of SESAME POWDER, originally actually for myself to eat but im not going to use it. Does it have any benificial use with finches, and would gouldians even eat it? I was thinking about just adding it in with my supplement mix i give them. It is a powder, not the actual seed. Thanks
Blue Gouldian Breeder and Bird lover
Darkangel1977

Heres the packet... it may be a mix of black and white... its in taiwanese so not helpful :think:
2018-02-11 10.52.37.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
starman

I have not tried sesame powder but I once experimented with a little (white) sesame seed which seemed less than popular and remained largely untouched until I removed it ( I think it is far too oily for general use). I can't imagine that it would be a problem if you want to add a little to a soft food mix, but I really doubt the value of sesame powder over the more recommended 'tried and true' supplements.
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.
Darkangel1977

Great. Thanks for the reply :thumbup:
CathyCraftz

Gouldians are picky about their food, so try a little with them first. Check the ingredients in case the manufacturers have added something finches can't eat.
Have a nice day!
Sincerely, Cathy
“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” – Albus Dumbledore
matcho

CathyCraftz wrote: 20 May 2018, 14:06 Gouldians are picky about their food, so try a little with them first. Check the ingredients in case the manufacturers have added something finches can't eat.
Really Cathy? Mine aren't and have been breeding them for years. Please enlighten me with your experience. One thing I must admit though is they are not real flash on live food.

Matcho
CathyCraftz

Well I have heard lots of other people say it.
Have a nice day!
Sincerely, Cathy
“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” – Albus Dumbledore
matcho

CathyCraftz wrote: 20 May 2018, 20:06 Well I have heard lots of other people say it.
That's all I needed to know.
mickenglish

I have found it difficult to get my Gouldians to try different foods. They ignore hard-boiled eggs, egg & biscuit mix, fruit, corn and in fact most vegetables. I persisted with endive and after a few days of suspicious flyovers and cautious ground approaches, they finally decided that it is OK and now they cluster over it when I put out a new batch. But so far, endive has been their only taste adventure-little ingrates!
I have read that parrot finches are great teachers for food acceptance, I plan to try that and I'll post the outcome.
Tiaris

A good way to give them a taste of powdered softfoods is to mix a small proportion with sprouted seed.

Return to “Diet & Food”