Is Seed Safe to Use?

For all your questions about diet and food for your finches
CathyCraftz

My zebra finches' seed were recently infested with weevils, so I froze the seed for a week. Is it safe to use? The seed is not out of date, it is only a few months old.
Have a nice day!
Sincerely, Cathy
“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” – Albus Dumbledore
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

When I had access to weevil infested seed I had a very successful year breeding Orange breasted finches. They just loved eating the weevils. If you have frozen it just give them two small bowls one with the weevil seed and one with fresh seed, they will take their pick, and it will do not harm.
LML
LML
Rod_L

Seed that is infested with weevils is safe for birds however, most of the seed will not be whole seed, it will have holes in it from the weevil larvae.
You can use it as a starter culture for weevil larvae and give them to your birds to eat, just keep it separate from the good uncontaminated seed :)

If there is any musty smell to seed, furry or fluffy bits, or discolouration (grey, brown, black) then the seed is mouldy and must be thrown away.
death to all cats & ants
CathyCraftz

Finchbreeder I thought untreated weevil infested seed was dangerous to Finches?
Have a nice day!
Sincerely, Cathy
“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” – Albus Dumbledore
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Many african finches are partly insect eaters. So they are getting what nature intended them to eat. Obviously this is not enough on it's own, and they need good seed too. So put insect seed and good seed at opposite ends of the avairy for best effect. PS a proviso If it smells rotten or is moldy do not use. I have not had problems in many years of keeping finches.
LML
LML

Return to “Diet & Food”