Fly Population Crashed

For all your questions about diet and food for your finches
Boma

This is my first season breading maggots. Everything was going well in summer and the flys were breeding very well. I have started to use a light in the fly box over the past month, but the flys have died. The ones that have survived live for a few days, but not long enough to breed. My set up is a timber box which is 600mm wide, 450mm high and 300 long box. The light is on the side and is a constant 26-28 degrees. A towel is placed over the box to keep the heat in. There is plenty of water, sugar cubes and breeding medium. From what I have read, the set up is fairly typical.
At this rate I will have no maggots to feed the impending finch chicks. My question is, is it usual for the fly population to die off so dramatically during the cooler months?
matcho

Maybe the temp isn't quite high enough at this time of year?
Craig52

Are you topping up pupae every week to hatch and repopulate the fly cage ? If not the flies die out naturally and wont be replaced. It's very hard to start off with new flies and it can take up to 2 weeks before they start getting back into the production of maggots which is very frustrating if you have young in the nest. If this is the case you should be able to get some from a friend near you or buy some meal worms to get them through. Good luck. Craig
CathyCraftz

Buy the finches some meal worms if you do not have enough time to start again, so at least the chicks can eat something.
Have a nice day!
Sincerely, Cathy
“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” – Albus Dumbledore
Boma

Yes I make sure there is pupae left for the next generation of flys, but there are so few there now as a result of the population crash. Yes I have some meal worms to get me through the "crisis". Will also go out and find some termites (never done that before, but is looks pretty easy). Last time when I changed the light build it was too hot and the flied died. I think the solution is to install a dimmer to be able to adjust the light/heat. Thanks for the advice.
CathyCraftz

Boma have you investigated what is causing all these flies to die? Is it too hot, too cold, or are they just dying of old age?
Have a nice day!
Sincerely, Cathy
“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” – Albus Dumbledore
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Easier to hook up a thermostat so it turns light on or off at set temps..😉 about $25 on ebay...plug in and set..😉
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Boma

CathyCrafts - no idea why they have died - its not old age, because they die only 2 days after hatching. I think that it may be too cold for them as matcho suggested.
vettepiolot_6 - I wasn't aware of the thermostat arrangement - much better than a stronger light bulb and dimmer option - will give it a go - thanks for the advice.
CathyCraftz

Boma wrote: 26 May 2018, 19:41 CathyCrafts - no idea why they have died - its not old age, because they die only 2 days after hatching. I think that it may be too cold for them as matcho suggested.
Do you feed the maggots anything? I know this sounds weird but could they be dying of hunger?
Have a nice day!
Sincerely, Cathy
Boma

They have access to plenty of water, sugar cubes as well as the standard mix of milk powder, bran (mill run) and water (which they also breed in). I make sure the breeding medium does not dry out as a result of the heat from the light. I will be working on the theory that there if not enough heat during the cold nights and will see if my new system solves the problem.

Return to “Diet & Food”