Best home blended soaked seed mix?

For all your questions about diet and food for your finches
deegs

Just wondering if anyone can provide a good home made mix they use as a soaked seed mix for their Finches? I'd like to buy seed and mix my own. If anyone can help, please provide the ratios.
Thanks, Deegs.
Tiaris

Millets and canary seed in the same proportions as dry seed mix for most finches. Depends on which species you have, but when I have parrotfinches, Neophema parrots, Siskins I also add some mung beans, safflower & sunflower to the sprouted seed. The easiest way to do this is just combine finch mix & parrot mix for sprouting. Cup-nesters also like sprouted canola & niger.
Craig52

I just use a regular finch mix but add extra french white millet which is the most sort after sprouted seed in my experience. FWM sprouts very quickly, probably the quickest of all of the millets where as canary seed is the slowest.
As a proportion i would double the amount of FWM to the amount already in the mix.
Rod_L

I use 2 parts finch mix to 1 part blue ribbon canary mix, put it in a big plastic rubbish bin and mix it up. Then I use it as their dry food and to make soaked/ sprouted seed.

The finch mix has primarily millets and no oil seeds. The blue ribbon canary mix has lots of oil seed, so the combination seems to work well.
death to all cats & ants
deegs

Thanks for the feedback everyone, sounds as though I have been doing the right thing myself, will add a bit more canary seed and French millet to my standard Finch mix that I have been using.
Cheers, Deegs.

Return to “Diet & Food”