finch eating habits

For all your questions about diet and food for your finches
nicko

finchbreeder 2 stupid questions - are the holes at the top or down towards the bottom & once in there, wouldn't they be trapped in there & unable to fly out ??.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Holes are near the top. Big enough for the flys to easily get in and out and small enough that the finches cant actually get their beaks in. Because the holes are at the top the maggots stay down the bottom and the flys - fly out. The finches learn to sit near the holes and catch them.
LML
LML
DIRK

finchbreeder wrote: 21 Dec 2018, 22:31 Holes are near the top. Big enough for the flys to easily get in and out and small enough that the finches cant actually get their beaks in. Because the holes are at the top the maggots stay down the bottom and the flys - fly out. The finches learn to sit near the holes and catch them.
LML
How about the smell? How often do you have to replace the fruit.
Tiaris

Need fresh fruit scraps added at least once/week.
DIRK

Tiaris. Thanks. Built one yesterday and up in the aviary. 37 degrees today and an overripe banana inside, let's see if we have success. Aviary houses Canaries, Gouldians, painted, cordon blue, African fire finch, RB parrot finch. I reckon the cordon bleus will be the ones to go for it. The only live food they get are mealworms, and they are not so popular.
nicko

finchbreeder wrote: 21 Dec 2018, 22:31 Holes are near the top. Big enough for the flys to easily get in and out and small enough that the finches cant actually get their beaks in. Because the holes are at the top the maggots stay down the bottom and the flys - fly out. The finches learn to sit near the holes and catch them.
LML
Another stupid question - how big should the holes be - I cant get mine working after several attempts GGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Tiaris

I use aviary mesh on the sides of mine.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I just use an Ice pick to make the holes. But it does sometimes take a few days for the "vinegar flys" to find the fruit, so patience.
LML
LML
nicko

Had mine about 8 weeks - nothing ????
Seems the old story - when you want it - you don't get it & when you don't want it - you get it
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hmm - now you mention it, mine do seem a bit less active than usual. Wonder if it is anything to do with this very humid weather we are having on the west coast?
LML
LML

Return to “Diet & Food”