Wild grass seeds.

For all your questions about diet and food for your finches
collector_and_buyer

Not much happening on the Forum,so i thought i might show a few of the wild seed heads growing in my paddock.The third photo is what i have found to be Golden Millet.I bought a load of garden blend soil to build up my tomato patch and this lot came up.No more tomatoes there now,the birds absolutely love this stuff.Second photo is Hairy Panic and there is a ton of this stuff here,okay for nesting material as well.Unfortunately,really hard to find swamp grass in this part of the country.Not sure what the first is,but have plenty of it and the birds are very keen on this,also have lots of Milk Thistle as well.Good to not have to run all over the country side looking for it.Just wish there was some swamp grass around as the panic is a little brittle. Sorry photos aren't in the correct sequence.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

As I also do not have access to swamp grass, I improvise and use what I have. The birds don;t know otherwise so do fine. The grasses in the first and last photos look suitable for nests as well as eating so you could probaly do a pruning job on a patch and see how they react. Good luck.
LML
LML
mr skeeter

the last photo looks like barnyard grass the birds love it just picked a large bag and put in the fridge as this helps it keep longer also i will freeze the next lot. cheers
Tiaris

Top 2 are different to anything I have here & bottom one looks like pannicum heads to me.
collector_and_buyer

I jumped on Google and the site i was on described the bottom one as Golden Millet.The seed head is very hairy and sticks to everything,including your clothes and sometimes,the birds feet.Everything loves this stuff,will get some going where i am putting my next aviaries.The middle photo is what we call Hairy Panic,this is the stuff you see blown up all along the fences down this way and the farmers hate it,as it rots out the bottom wire and fills up sheds.Birds like it and ok for nesting.If the first photo is Barnyard grass,the birds also love this,especially Tri Nuns and Siskins.All of these disappear and reappear around Christmas.
paintedfiretail

first photo is carpet grass
Tiaris

Top one is neither barnyard nor carpet grass. I don't know what it is though.
Barnyard is similar to jap millet & carpet grass has extremely fine shiny seed heads with very small seeds.
Craig52

I'd say the top pic is a mixture, a broad leaf Rye grass and green panic veldt as i can see both seeds in the patch. Rye grass seed fed green i believe can be toxic but green panic veldt seed is the cream of green seed imo. Craig
collector_and_buyer

I will take some closeup photo's of the grass seed heads and post tomorrow, as i have said,the birds absolutely love the first and third seed photo's.Happy to send some seeds through to anybody that wants some to try and propagate as well.
KENTUCKY

One of the seeds I recognize as World Pigeon Grass, almost like teflon, sticks to just about everything, I have had some birds in the past who couldnt get off the ground because the seed heads attached themself to the feathers, well liked by gouldians but, keep on eye on your birds when feeding world pigeon grass.

Return to “Diet & Food”