egg and biscut mix

For all your questions about diet and food for your finches
medic

Hi all,
At the risk of sounding monumentally naive…………………. hang on, I am when it comes to finches :crazy: I have heard lots about providing a egg:biscut mix to a finches diet. Is the egg cooked or raw, what type of biscuit, and what's the rationale please.
Cheers, medic
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's a good source of protein.

I know a number of breeders who make their own using eggs and arrowroot biscuits, but buying a commercial egg & biscuit food is much easier. I use this one.
Tiaris

Eggs are hard boiled if mixing your own.
Rod_L

You can buy egg biscuit mix from most pet shops but its usually old and stale. I made my own from a boiled egg and cornflakes.

Hard boil a chook egg for 10 minutes. While it's boiling you get a cup of cornflakes and put them in a paper or plastic bag, squeeze the air out and seal it up. Put the bag of cornflakes on a hard flat surface and use a rolling pin to roll over the cornflakes and crush them up into little pieces.

Put the crushed cornflakes into a bowl and when the egg is boiled, remove the shell and crush that up and put it to one side. Put the hard boiled egg in the bowl with the cornflakes and use a fork to crush the egg up and mix it with the cornflakes. Then put the bowl of cornflakes and egg in the aviary for the birds. You can put the crushed egg shell in too or spread it over the garden.

If you put egg shells into the aviary make sure they have been boiled first to kill any diseases that can affect your birds.

If you don't have cornflakes you can use rice bubbles, but I found cornflakes were better.
death to all cats & ants
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

So there you are. Hard boiled egg, with or without shell depending on preference, mixed with arroroot biscuits or cornflakes or ricebubbles, depending on preference. Some finches will take and some will not, best to give just as they fledge and are curious and most likely to take.
LML
LML
Tiaris

There are hundreds of eggfood recipes for finches.
When I last fed eggfood it comprised cuscus (boiled), boiled eggs (inc shell), passwells softfood powder, breadcrumbs, livamol and it was mixed with sprouted seed at 20% eggfood, 80% sprouted seed, frozen, then fed to birds daily.
I don't feed eggfood at all now - just give sprouted seed, livefood & grass heads as the only daily supplements.
Tiaris

couscous, sorry - not funny looking possum.
medic

Thanks heap all,
Well that was easy one question down, 1000000000000 to go.
Cheers, medic

Return to “Diet & Food”