Fine charcoal

For all your questions about diet and food for your finches
Rod_L

Pet shops sell carbon or activated carbon, which is different to charcoal. Carbon should not be given to birds.

If you want charcoal, burn a branch and put that in the cage. Take it out each month and hose it off then burn it again. You only need to burn the outside and the birds can pick at is when they like.

Gouldians and other birds can live without charcoal.
death to all cats & ants
Natboy

Thank you 😊
noah.till

The more natural and fresher you can get, the better
Thanks
Noah Till
Downs Bird Breeders Association and Queensland Finch Society Member
2018 Australian Birdkeepers Magazine Young Birdkeeper
Javan Munia, Black Rumped Double bar and Aberdeen Breeding Project
Rod_L

If they want fresh charcoal they can come and get it from the reserve down the road from me. The council and fire department burnt it on Tuesday night and killed thousands of native orchids as well as burning the baby crested pigeons, Wonga pigeons and magpies. :(

Mind you, I probably wouldn't take anything from the reserve due to the herbicide they sprayed on it at the start of September, which surprise surprise, also kills native orchids (they sprayed over 500 orchids but left the African daisies alone), and it has killed 2 pink and grey cockatoos and 3 maggies so far.
*&^%$#@@#$%^&*()_idiot council
death to all cats & ants
Natboy

Wow that’s horrible.
These kind of factors just make me hope I can buy it from a reputable company again.
You just never know what’s been sprayed on things these days and why I grow my own seeded grass for the birds now
noah.till

Rod_L wrote: 19 Sep 2019, 12:06 If they want fresh charcoal they can come and get it from the reserve down the road from me. The council and fire department burnt it on Tuesday night and killed thousands of native orchids as well as burning the baby crested pigeons, Wonga pigeons and magpies. :(

Mind you, I probably wouldn't take anything from the reserve due to the herbicide they sprayed on it at the start of September, which surprise surprise, also kills native orchids (they sprayed over 500 orchids but left the African daisies alone), and it has killed 2 pink and grey cockatoos and 3 maggies so far.
*&^%$#@@#$%^&*()_idiot council
Thats council alright :problem: :thumbdown:
Downs Bird Breeders Association and Queensland Finch Society Member
2018 Australian Birdkeepers Magazine Young Birdkeeper
Javan Munia, Black Rumped Double bar and Aberdeen Breeding Project
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

They just might have violated one of the Dept of Environment etc's rules. You could try complaining and see if it works.
LML
LML
Rod_L

I contacted the EPA last year when they did a burn and again a few months ago when the council said they were going to burn again this year. The EPA's response was " the council can do whatever it likes as long as it doesn't kill any plants". When I contacted them about the plants that were killed last year they didn't care. The EPA said there were no endangered species on the reserve and they didn't care. However, the EPA has never surveyed the reserve so they wouldn't know what was there.

The council claims there are no endangered orchids on the reserve but didn't even know where most of the orchids were. On Monday afternoon (the day before the burn), I showed them a couple of areas containing 5 different species and they didn't even know they were there. The lady from the council said she would make sure they don't get burnt. They got cooked.

The council reckons they recently had the area surveyed by people associated with Kings Park. I asked who and they wouldn't give me names. I don't believe it was surveyed because I haven't seen anyone in the reserve doing survey work, and 99% of the orchids have not flowered in the last 2 years. So even if the area was surveyed, they wouldn't be able to identify the different species because there were no flowers to identify them with.

And I found another dead pink and grey today. It had been dead for a couple of days. I don't know if it's related to the herbicide or the fire.
death to all cats & ants
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A direct approach to King's Park people to see if they did a survey might elicite information you can use at a public meeting later on.
Now back on topic. Making your own charcol as suggested, great idea.
LML
LML
Craig52

Agree, sad story but yes back to the topic please.

Admin.

Return to “Diet & Food”