Can you Feed Dalis Grass to Finches and Parrots

For all your questions about diet and food for your finches
noah.till

Hi everyone, i have a lot of Dallis grass (Paspalum dilatatum) growing at home, and i was wondering if you can feed it to finches and parrots
Thanks
Downs Bird Breeders Association and Queensland Finch Society Member
2018 Australian Birdkeepers Magazine Young Birdkeeper
Javan Munia, Black Rumped Double bar and Aberdeen Breeding Project
Craig52

Paspalum seed can be fed dry but paspalum seed when green is a carrier of black ergot mould which is toxic to birds. There are better seeding grasses in your area like green panic or guinea grass or other Native seeding grasses. Paspalum stalks should be ok for parrots though. Craig
Rod_L

You can also grow birds seed in pots. The following link has some info about a similar subject.
viewtopic.php?f=84&t=21732&p=188305#p188305
death to all cats & ants
Tiaris

I regularly feed a few paspalum species to my finches and some of them are excellent grass seeds to feed. I don't feed common paspalum as it has a sticky seed head and is often covered in fungal spores of ergot & smut. Although I have previously had it growing in large planted aviaries and can particularly remember St Helenas heavily working it over for green seed.
I feed Giant paspalum whenever I notice the wild redbrows eating it - which is usually when it is starting to slightly brown-off/ripen.
One of my birds' favourite grass seeds is signal grass (a paspalum species) which is in my opinion one of the best of all fresh grass seeds.
I also feed broadleaf paspalum heads regularly which most finches readily enjoy too.
Broadleaf paspalum & signal grass seem to be not subject to fungal infestation. Giant paspalum can sometimes be affected but this is obvious with black mouldy appearance which is easily avoided.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Saltbush is similar. I have been feeding it to my birds for over 25yrs. But not this year because it has obvious black smutty looking fungus on it. First time I have ever had this problem, but using common sense.
LML
LML
noah.till

cheers everyone
I feed a lot of other grasses, just wanted to see if you can feed this type before I run it over with the lawnmower
Thanks
Downs Bird Breeders Association and Queensland Finch Society Member
2018 Australian Birdkeepers Magazine Young Birdkeeper
Javan Munia, Black Rumped Double bar and Aberdeen Breeding Project

Return to “Diet & Food”