Emergency Electrolyte Formula

For all your questions about diet and food for your finches
neshem

im using electrogen d+ (supposed to be for fighting cock) for my finches when they are stressed or during cold days.. is this okay?
can easily buy from the nearby agrivet supply store.

http://www.unahco.com/global/module.php ... 0952528802" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BrettB

All of these recipes and products are for Rapid Oral Rehydration, the therapeutic ingredient is WATER.
There is some evidence to show that a small amount of glucose and electrolytes increases the rate of absorption of water in humans. Perhaps the vets can tell us if there is any evidence in birds.
If your birds are eating and drinking I see little point in using them. :think:
If your birds are dehydrated then they may have some value.

Cheers
Brett
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are ." Anais Nin
mattymeischke

BrettB wrote:All of these recipes and products are for Rapid Oral Rehydration, the therapeutic ingredient is WATER.
....it is water indeed, but if they have decreased water intake (eg: during transportation) and increased water requirements (eg: stress, illness) then it gets in them better with some sugary-salty stuff, no?
Isn't that how they justify the price of Gastrolyte?
Isn't that what saves the lives of millions of children with diarrhoea in the third world every day?
Avid amateur aviculturalist; I keep mostly australian and foreign finches.
The art is long, the life so short; the critical moment is fleeting and experience can be misleading, crisis is difficult....... (Hippocrates)
BrettB

....it is water indeed, but if they have decreased water intake (eg: during transportation) and increased water requirements (eg: stress, illness) then it gets in them better with some sugary-salty stuff, no?
I don't disagree with this, which is why I posted "If your birds are dehydrated then they may have some value."
Isn't that how they justify the price of Gastrolyte?
I have no idea how they justify the price of Gastrolyte, or Gatorade or any one of a dozen other knock-offs mostly marketed as sports drinks. :crazy:
Come to think about it, I have no idea how they justify the price of a bottle of water. :wtf:

Perhaps the tone of my post was a little harsh, but I get annoyed with the almost magical properties that are at times attributed to these products.
I accept they have a place when birds are dehydrated and rapid hydration is required. ;-)

Cheers
Brett
Aussie_Bengo

This article helped me gain perspective on the physical effects of stress in finches and the need to give finches these kind of extra supplements (eg. electrolytes) in these circumstances.

http://www.finchniche.com/features_stress.php

Cheers
BrettB

I think there are some questionable claims in that article.

Cheers
Brett
Aussie_Bengo

BrettB wrote:I think there are some questionable claims in that article.

Cheers
Brett
Such as?
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Easiest way is try doing half your birds each way and see if it makes a difference. I suspect that the only thing they need is a dose of Spark. If very stressed.
LML
LML
BOERBOEL

A sick bird will usually drink before it eats, so it's good to add energy and electrolytes to their water. I've had great success with glucose, natural rock salt and a multivitamin powder in their water. Can bring an off bird around very quickly.

Return to “Diet & Food”