Maggots online

For all your questions about diet and food for your finches
Gerry Marantelli

Hi all

Just to let you know the maggots are now online - to order go to http://www.frogs.org.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We have labelled the packs by numbers like all our other products but the bulk pack is 1kg and the medium pack is 250g (which is what most of you got for the trials)

Thank you again for all your feedback - and remember if you are ordering, postage is only paid once per shipment so it is better to order your mags with crickets, mealworms etc to spread the postal charge. Since it seems from the feedback that finches wil eat frozen maggots, it will be cheaper to buy bulk and freeeze.

PM me if you need any other help regarding ordering. Mailout is every Tuesday and close for orders is 9am Tuesdays. If you need regular delivery its best to get an ongoing order - and we will reserve your order and send it at your chosen frequency until notified.

again thanks and happy shopping -
Gerry
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Love your website :D a happy morning exploring coming up ;)
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
Gerry Marantelli

Sorry - just a reminder to avoid confusion:

The housefly maggots you all got as free samples are listed on our website as Gents. Not to be confused with the other Maggot species we sell online: calci-gents and XL gents (these may be too big for finches) you can view all the species against a ruler in the photographs if there is any confusion about what is the best size maggot species for your birds.

If you would like a sizing chart for your insects we can send one out with your order. It is an A4 page with all the insect sizes printed from photos at exact life sizes. Very easy to look at the life size you want for placing future orders. Just ask for a sizing chart in the comments section of your order and we will send it with your order.
Weaver

Gerry,
I sent you a PM regarding bulk buying.
I also mentioned that I had tried the Calci-gents but they had pupated very quickly and was wondering what their ideal storage conditions would be.
While my softbills didn't appear to go for them I thought with time they might so I am keen to give them another go.
Weaver

Wondering if anyone else has tried the Calci -gents yet?
natamambo

Only used the gents, they are taken freely. Haven't bothered with the calci-gents, see no reason to do so since Gerry assures us it's basically just size and marketing which is the difference.
Gerry Marantelli

They are actually a different species but I can't see how they would be any better for finches. They are more expensive and harder to store than gents. We sell them primarily as they don't look like maggots and many people prefer a non-maggoty maggot.
Weaver

I was interested as they are so much bigger and thought would satisfy my Magpie Robins.
Gerry Marantelli

perhaps the XL gents would be better for you - they are another species again and even bigger than calci-gents you can see the pics online. Unfortunately they are also the hardest to grow and therfore most expensive but they do have the massive advantage of being able to be kept in the fridge for weeks (the calci-gents will die after only a few hours in the fridge so they are really a buy it and use it straight away kind of option).
BENSONSAN

Gerry and weaver i feed all my birds the realy realy big maggots. All my finches eat them including my little cordons. believe me they will get used to the big ones in no time!!!

Oh and the big ones freeze better aswell.

Ben

Return to “Diet & Food”