Breeding Bush Fly Maggots

For all your questions about diet and food for your finches
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Keep your maggots going till the flys in the box are physically humming...then you will have enough flys too supply maggots continously.... :thumbup:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Finnigan

fly.box.jpg
my maggot factory.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
toothlessjaws

I have built a flybox and ordered some fly pupae from the local aquarium to get the colony started - only when they arrived the flies are house flies - not bush flies as I was told they were.

Can anyone please advise how it could effect me (if at all) in this particular context?

Also how long can the pupae last in the fridge? I'm heading O/S for 10 days at weeks end and there is NO WAY my girlfriend is going to feed out maggots or go anywhere near them!
garyh

TJ,pm sent,garyh
finchbird2015

toothlessjaws not sure if your housefly is the same as our ones i kiwiland if there are they should be fine. If your box is ready i would chuck them in ,with ya sugar cubes, water,and medium.( i use pollard and milk powder) without knowing how old the pupae are and what temp your box is its hard to tell how long it will take for the flies to hatch, breed and lay eggs.But as long as the flys have water the whole time you are away they will survive alright.i leave my house flies in the medium for 4-5 days before pulling them out.Just let the cycle continue while you are away and you should have more flies with you come back. More only concern would be the water.
Craig52

Hi Martin,they are the same flies,when they come inside on your back or when you open the fly wire door and come in there name automatically changes to house flies :lol: If you place the pupae in before you leave with a water source and a few sugar cubes and no heat at this time of the year they will hatch whilst you are away,i takes another three or four days before they become sexually mature so no medium required till you get home.
I use a large clean pickle jar with a slit cut in the metal lid and a strip of polyester material inserted for a wick,a dressing gown belt works fine and wont rot so long as the wick touches the bottom of the jar so it want dry out. Good luck Craig
casehulsebosch

And........... two fly boxes is better than one. Just in case of a mishap.

Cheers, Case, Tauranga, New Zealand.

Return to “Diet & Food”