Breeding Bush Fly Maggots

For all your questions about diet and food for your finches
GP Finches

Hello all. I am building a fly box and was wondering about heat sources. Normal light bulbs are now being phased out (not making them anymore). The new bulbs will probably not produce enough heat for flies to breed. I have looked at a reptile heating cord which are relatively cheap.

Any ideas or suggestions on heat sources would be appreaciated.
Alf63

I am still using old style light globes as the coloured "party" globes are still readily available from Bunnings etc. The different colours haven't effected the flies.

Also the new halogen globes which look like a smaller version of the old incandesent globe should generate sufficent heat depending on the size of the box. The only drawback is they are relatively expensive.
Danny

The cord works fine but works best if used with a visible light source like a compact fluoro as flies like to work with the lights on.
SamDavis

You can still buy round old style clear incandescent globes in 25 and 40 watt. Currently I'm using 2 by 25watt. Mine are wired through a dimmer so when not turned up to full power they seem to last for ages.
GP Finches

Thank you for the replies. I have found out that you can still get coloured lights that give off heat. Yes I will still have to have a light source. I decided to buy a ready made fly box from Borgs Brooders. It looks pretty good and comes with a thermostat.
Trilobite

Hey dont sweat the small stuff, the ballast behind the new compact flouros gives of a s*&t load of heat (try touching one after it has been on for a while - careful) and the light of course give light so the flies can do their thing. I have mine on a thermostat and have one box running on fluro and one on incandesent and they both produce the same. if you find there is still not enough heat then try insulate the box a bit more with some styro or carpet offcuts etc.
Cheers
Trilobite
gomer

The problem I find having a incadesant in the box is if they get to much fly crap on them they over heat and blow all the time. For this reason I now use a heat cord and a fluro outside the wire
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
Shark

I have just bought a ceramic heat lamp and fitting and a thermostat. I also bought a 12v LED downlight with a transformer as a light source. (the light source also prevents the maggots crawling over the side). I decided on the LED as this should remain cool. Will be installing it all in my old box on the weekend have made a secondary batch of flies as most will escape when I cut a giant hole in the back. Hopefully the maggot supply is not interupted.
If you live near me don't plan a BBQ for this Saturday.

Will update when results are known.
____________________/\__________________________\0/________________________
Shark

Worked a treat, only a few hundred flies escaped and I am currently running the box on 28 degrees, this seems a good temp.
____________________/\__________________________\0/________________________
GP Finches

I have been using my fly box for nearly a month. The amount of live food that can be produced is incredible!

What type of mixture (bran, pollard, milk powder ratios) are being used by fly breeders and the production cycle used (days, temp. etc?

Return to “Diet & Food”